sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things College Students Take for Granted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

College students often evaluate their lives at home versus their lives at their universities. There is a big contrast: more room space, better food and sometimes a stronger sense of “home.” However, not many people talk about the actual benefits of being a college student and the things we experience at school that we may take for granted. Here are a few things we are lucky to experience but often overlook:

1. Independence

Some may enjoy it, others dread it – either way, it’s a symbol of growth and change in your life, and it slowly begins to introduce how life and responsibilities change as one ages. The great part about being independent is that you can make your own decisions for yourself, and it actually helps you learn more about yourself, while simultaneously shaping your character. So don’t feel bad the next time you forget to do something or don’t know how to do it. It’s all a learning experience, and it’s supposed to be fun!

2. Being Seen as an Adult

Along with that independence comes individuals viewing you as an adult or even a colleague. No longer are you a high school student who is annoyed with teachers and other adults insulting your intelligence. At this point in life, you are treated with more respect, and the dynamic between yourself and your professors change – they expect more of you, but its only because they recognize you for the adult that are you developing into before their eyes. They understand this point in your life because they, too, were college students. They are people, just like us and realize that students should be treated with respect.

3. Residence Halls

I know it may sound strange to be grateful for these, but I’ve found they really do create a sense of community. Even if it’s just for one year, your bond with other students can be something great if you make use of it. If your RA plans events within your hall or floor, go! It doesn’t hurt to meet new people and bond over things you may have in common. Building these relationships effects your college experience significantly, and in a great way. It’s always good to know people who have your back if you happen to need something in the future.

4. Money from Parents

College is pretty much the last time you’ll be able to borrow money from your parents to go towards school or food. Once you get a full-time job, don’t expect to be able to call mom and ask for some money for groceries because chances are very likely that she’ll say no. So be grateful that you have this time to receive money from parents – sometimes for no reason. But being a broke college student is reason enough!

5. Dining Halls

Some of the dining options may not be the best, but it’s definitely the best way to get your money’s worth: your school’s dining hall. Where else could you go to eat multiple servings of food in one sitting? As much food as you want means not being in a rush to leave. Which is beneficial if you had to study for a test, perhaps. You could just study in the dining hall all day and eat as much as you want! Enjoy the constant buffet while you can, because after college, the endless variety of food isn’t as readily available (Maybe that’s for the best, but you should still be grateful).

College students experience so many new things in such a short amount of time. While you may be in a rush to go back home for break, don’t forget some of the benefits these experiences have granted you. The college experience is not one to be taken for granted.

Image 12, 3, 4, 5, 6

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!