5 Signs Your Younger Sibling is Cooler Than You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Whether the age is 2 years or 20 years, one of the biggest appeals of a younger sibling is the thought of having someone who looks up to you. But when it turns out that your younger sibling is higher on the social totem pole than you, the whole “looking up to” becomes much more difficult. Now I’m sure what you’re thinking is…“No! Me, lamer than my little sibling? Ha Impossible! I’m not a regular older sibling, I’m a cool sibling.”

Which is to be expected– there can be a certain amount of denial attached to it. Sometimes it can be hard to notice that over the siblings have surpassed you in attractiveness, athleticism or overall social skills. By the time you notice it, it’s probably too late. So from one lame older sibling to another, here are some signs that your younger sibling is, in fact, cooler than you.

1. Their social life is somehow more active than yours

Every weekend, your younger sibling comes back with fun stories of wild partying and alcohol fueled debauchery while it’s you that’s covered in Dorito dust, catching up on “Stranger Things” on a Saturday night.  

2. You’re asking them for advice

“Should I ask this guy out?”  “What does this text mean?”  “What should I wear tonight?” From problems stemming from school to friends to romance, if you find yourself asking them any variation of the above questions, they’re probably cooler than you.

3.  They’re more popular on social media

Their phone is constantly blowing up with retweets, instagram likes and snaps while the only people to like your most recent Facebook profile picture were your grandmother and your former English teacher. Bonus points if your friends constantly comment and like their posts. F*cking traitors.

4. More people know them instead of you

You’re both walking through the mall or standing in line at a local coffee house and all of a sudden someone recognizes your sibling. In fact, it seems like every single time you both go out together your sibling runs into someone they know, forcing you to awkwardly stand there as they play catch up. The worst is when they introduce you and you have to smile as the person scopes out your acne and sweatpants, exclaiming how they had no idea you two were related.

5. You’re referred to as (Insert Name Here’s) older sibling

Game over. There’s no hope left. You’re about as cool as tube socks and crocs. Or a Vanilla Ice music video. Welcome to Dorkville, population you.

But don’t be too hard on yourself. Even though they may be cooler than you, there will never be another person that they’ll admire more than you (even if they won’t admit it).

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!