This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With spring just around the corner, it’s time for a whole new group of fruits to get their time to shine! Thank goodness for that. I know that I’ve grown sick of eating out-of-season fruits that just don’t taste quite right. Here’s a small selection of what to expect in your local supermarkets in the upcoming months! 

Cherries

Oh, cherries—my absolute favorite fruit ever. Oh, how I’ve missed you. This is the fruit that I’ve been looking forward to the most, and finally getting to bite into some crisp, perfectly tart-sweet cherries has been something that I’ve been anticipating since December. They really don’t taste right unless it’s the correct season for them! 

This is also one of the easier-to-use fruits on this list, as it can be used in an entire multitude of dishes! Cherries allow for a lot of flexibility when it comes to things like breakfast planning, dessert baking and smoothie making, and I know I’m looking forward to being able to use them in morning smoothies again.  

Mangoes

Mangoes are always an incredibly fresh option to choose if you’re looking for something to eat. Their bright taste is amazingly refreshing and always a wonderful option for when it’s hot outside, and you need some relief. My preferred way of eating mangoes is in smoothies, but I’ve seen so many creative ways people use them in various dishes. 

Keep an eye out for these, as they may appear in the fruits section of your local grocers soon! 

Pineapples

This fruit is an amazing option that, frankly, I’ve been missing during the colder months! The crisp feeling of biting into a slice of pineapple is something that I love, and it’s just not the same when it’s canned or frozen. Personally, when it comes to food preparation, I prefer pineapple juice to its other forms. There’s just something about how fresh it tastes when it’s added to things like cranberry juice and orange juice that can’t be matched by any other flavor combination!  

Avocados

Listen, avocados are technically fruits. Now, with that out of the way, I can gush about how excited I am for in-season avocados to come back! I know there’s a whole complaint surrounding avocado toast that’s reached pretty intense levels, but I really am looking forward to making some fresh stuff for the first time in a while. 

There are just so many ways to eat avocado! With them in-season and costing a little less than they do in the off-season, there’s even more of an excuse to have avocado as often as possible!  

Lemons

I think lemons have garnered a bad reputation over the years as some sort of sour, impossible-to-eat fruit with no way of truly enjoying them, and I have to disagree! With fresh lemons coming back, that means they can be used as a topping without feeling any shame! Fresh lemon juice overtop seafood and squeezed in some leafy salad is absolutely perfect and makes everything just taste so much more light and delicate. 

Desserts, too. Lemons are absolutely wonderful in desserts. I personally love a good lemon square, but I know a ton of people who use lemon juice as an add-in whenever they’re making jams and gelatins. They’re an incredibly multifaceted fruit, and with them in-season, you can get a ton for a relatively low price!  

And there it is! There are definitely a ton more fruits that are going to be in-season in the upcoming months, so be sure to keep an eye out on your local supermarkets if you’re interested in looking for some fresh fruit to eat! Fresh foods are always a delight to eat and cook with, so hopefully, you’ll be able to find some favorites on your supermarket shelves this season.  

Mikaela is a current student of Virginia Commonwealth University.
VCU Contributor Account