5 Restaurants to Try in the 757 Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Cities, whether big or small are usually known for something. You hear New York City and you automatically think Times Square, The Empire State Building or Rockefeller Plaza, but you don’t hear about the low-key spots that make it all worth while. As for me, I am not from a big city like New York City, but from the Hampton Roads area. Usually peoples immediate correlation with this area is Virginia Beach, The Oceanfront Boardwalk and other small beaches around the area. However, this area has so many of my favorite restaurants and subsections of this area that I would highly recommend to anyone who visits the area. Here are a few of my personal local favorites. 

1. Roast Rider Coffee

Roast Rider Coffee is a small coffee shop located in Virginia Beach about 15 minutes from the Oceanfront. The interior is super modern with all white tables and benches and a dark wood finish on the front of the coffee bar. The decoration is super comfortable with nice beach graphics, fun poppy pictures and books on all of the tables.

2. Handsome Biscuit

Handsome Biscuit is a traditional southern biscuit restaurant in Norfolk. They recently expanded with a new location on Old Dominion University’s campus, with the original location being a small little hut on the corner in Ghent. They have a variety of types of biscuits, along with many different southern sides like collard greens or hash browns. They serve delicious homemade sodas and coffee from a well known local coffee shop originating in Virginia Beach, Three Ships Coffee. My favorite dish is one of the fried chicken biscuits known as the “Hella Fitzgerald” topped with gravy, bacon and loads of cheddar cheese. I top it off with their store made hot sauce.  

3. Downtown Norfolk/Ghent

I spend a lot of my time in the Norfolk area. I love the small city, and it has so many good shops and lots original restaurants to try. There’s so much to do including venues like Chrysler Hall and The National that hold certain concerts and plays, or the Chrysler Museum that is newly renovated and has free admission.

4. Taste Unlimited

Taste is my favorite food chain of all in the Hampton Roads area. It originated in Virginia Beach, with it’s first location being right near the oceanfront. Taste Unlimited is a market, as well as a restaurant, serving fresh sandwiches and salads, with certain locations even having a coffee bar. It has a cute beach theme with it’s main colors being yellow and white, making the environment super sleek, yet adorable.

5. Grilled Cheese Bistro  

The Grilled Cheese Bistro is a small restaurant located in Norfolk, Virginia. It began among the fancy grilled cheese phenomenon. The menu has a set amount of various grilled cheeses, specialty drinks and fancy fries.

These places are among many of the Hampton Roads area’s best restaurants and locations to experience. There are many that I did not mention, but that alone shows how much more this area has to offer other than the beach and boardwalk. This area has a special place in my heart, and I hope anyone that chooses to visit takes advantage of all the amazing local spots. For more inspiration for food and local tries check out my Instagram, @ajaerinmo, for an overload of food pictures that give the full insight on places to try!

all photos by author

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!