This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For most people (and by people I mean “basic” women like myself), fall brings to mind one particular thing: pumpkins. From lattes to front porch decorations, pumpkins take a season that would otherwise be mainly gloomy weather and falling GPA’s and turns it into a season of joy and aesthetic Instagram posts. In honor of National Pumpkin Day, this is a compilation of all the wonderful things pumpkin does.

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

This one is pretty obvious. The second Starbucks starts selling the PSL, it is officially fall even if it is still 80 degrees outside. Suddenly everyone is wearing UGGs and scarves again as the fragrant scent of the PSL wafts through the crisp air. Anyone who says they don’t like the taste of PSLs is lying. 

Pumpkin Patches

It is every “basic” woman’s tradition to go to a pumpkin patch (preferably one that also incorporates apple picking) on a nice fall weekend. Whether you end up actually getting a pumpkin is beside the point. And if you don’t Instagram it, did it really happen? It is a universal truth that everyone looks cuter with a pumpkin in hand while standing in the middle of a field.

Image Credit: Chelsea Schmidt 

Pumpkin Carving

Hopefully you actually did buy a pumpkin so you can go home and carve it! With Halloween just around the corner, a spooky Jack-o-lantern is the perfect window or porch accessory.  The added bonus is of course, a yummy snack of roasted pumpkin seeds. 

Pumpkin Food

Pumpkin makes everything better. From pumpkin pie to pumpkin bread, the delicious possibilities are endless. At the end of a long day at school or work, nothing sounds better than a slice of warm pumpkin cake and a mug of tea. 

Pumpkin Décor

Pumpkins are adorable. The vibrant oranges, greens and whites are the perfect color scheme for fall decoration. And the best thing is that you can get small ones for a dorm room or you can find larger ones for a front step.

Image Credit: Chelsea Schmidt 

Ignore any haters and embrace your basic love of fall. Enjoy the season of pumpkins, crisp weather and cute clothing. Fall only comes around once a year, so whether you enjoy visiting pumpkin patches with all your friends, or a good book paired with a venti PSL (or both!), do what you love.

Happy National Pumpkin Day! 

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!