This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Taking proper care of your skin won’t necessarily prevent you from having acne. It can be quite difficult to find products that actually diminish the appearance of your acne, and even if you do find products that work for you, the acne could still leave behind scars. Getting rid of the scars acne leaves behind can be even more difficult than getting rid of the acne itself. Skincare can feel like a never-ending battle because when you get rid of one issue, another problem always seems to arise in its place. However, there are some products that exist that will at least assist you in getting rid of the evidence left behind following the bloodshed. Here are five skincare products you have to try to help diminish the appearance of your acne scars!

Peace Out Dark Spot Brightening Dots 

Microneedling patches allow products to penetrate your skin, which in turn, makes the products more effective. The brightening agents that are used to create the product all help lighten the marks on your face, and you could see an improvement in your skin in as little as a week. All you have to do is apply the patches to the areas of your skin with acne scars and then go to bed and remove the patches when you wake up.  Repeat this process twice a week for two weeks, and you should see results. Results may vary for each person, but I have used this product and my scars were much lighter after two weeks, and I felt a lot more confident about my skin.

The only downfall is that this product is quite pricey, and the dots don’t cover much skin. Only 12 dots come in the package and they aren’t very large so they can only cover about one scar each. This may mean that if you have a lot of acne scars you would have to buy multiple boxes just to try to use the product twice a week for two weeks. This may not seem like much of an issue, but I haven’t mentioned the price yet. Each box is usually around $30.

That being said, I would recommend that you buy one box to start off and just use it on a few of your scars for two weeks and see if there’s any improvement. If you do see improvement and have the money to buy more, then you can. But, if the product doesn’t work for you then you won’t lose too much money.

I should also warn you that if you have oily skin that could cause the patches to loosen from the skin and fall off. Also if you are moving your face a lot while the patches are on, that could also loosen the patch’s hold. 

Bio Oil 

Bio Oil is a relatively inexpensive but effective product that can help fade acne scars. It is usually less than $10, and it can be found at a variety of different places. Bio Oil has to be applied to your skin twice a day, and it can take months to see any results. Since Bio Oil is an oil, it can cause breakouts. If your skin is very acne-prone it could cause more acne to appear while it helps the marks from past acne fade.

If you apply a minimal amount of oil to your face it can help it absorb more quickly and it may lessen the change of acne forming as a result of application. When you find a product that people say is effective it can be so tempting to slather it on and hope it works its magic more quickly, but in this case, that could cause more problems than it’ll be solving.

Palmer’s Skin Success Anti-Dark Spot Fade Cream for All Skin Types

This fade cream is relatively inexpensive, and can usually be purchased for less than $10. The cream has to be applied twice a day, and it can take months to see any real results, but some people see results within a few weeks. The cream can be quite heavy, so only apply a little amount to your face and rub it into your skin. If you over apply the cream and have acne-prone skin it could cause you to break out. 

Mederma Scar Cream

Mederma Scar Cream works really well when it comes to diminishing the appearance of scars of all types. This product can be used on scars all over the body, not just on the face. The formula is light and shouldn’t cause breakouts unless you have very sensitive skin, and you can see results relatively quickly if the product is used three times a day as recommended.

For older scars, it will take longer to see any results, but for younger scars, it shouldn’t take long for the appearance of the scar to be improved. The product can usually be purchased for below $20, and the tube typically lasts for a while as long as you don’t use an excessive amount on your face. 

Tamanu Oil 

Tamanu Oil is a great product to help you not only get rid of acne scars, but also get rid of acne. It’s a phenomenal product to add to your skincare routine, and it can also potentially help you if you have a skin condition like eczema. Tamanu Oil can be kind of heavy on the skin so it can potentially clog pores, but if it is used sparingly it should not cause too many issues. The product can typically be purchased for below $10. 

Hopefully these products will help you get rid of some of your acne scars! 

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!