This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One day while I was killing time before my shift at work, I was wandering through the various thrift and antique shops that plagued Richmond. As I was occupying my time examining a very dusty looking mug, my attention was drawn towards an old book, “House Plants for the Purple Thumb” by Maggie Baylis read the cover. Alongside the large green text was a plant encased in a birdcage—this mysterious book had caught my attention.

As I leafed through the yellow pages, I couldn’t help but laugh at the authors’ dry wit and writing style. As an aspiring plant parent, I purchased the book to inspire me to become a better plant owner. Since acquiring the book, I have become obsessed with houseplants, and my collection has grown from some sad-looking succulents to a thriving forest that has taken over my bedroom. While the book was old and slightly outdated, it inspired me to fill my life with greenery. Here are some of the perfect plants for an aspiring plant parent. 

Rosary Vine

Also known as the Ceropegia Woodii, the rosary vine is a plant that can endure the most hostile conditions. The rosary vine is a small fragile-looking vine that has tiny heart-shaped leaves. While the rosary vine may seem fragile, it is easy to grow and can survive several days without water, and can thrive with little light. 

Snake Plant

Also known as the Sansevieria Trifasciata, a well-known sword-shaped plant that loves to be neglected. While the plant is common to most plant owners, it is the perfect plant for the beginner. The snake plant can endure sun but usually prefers shade and is a great air purifier. 

Split Leaf Philodendron

Anyone can grow a split-leaf philodendron, and it is great for decorating an empty room because it takes up a large amount of space. Water with care because the plant prefers a dry to wet schedule. When the soil is dry, the plant enjoys a good soak, not a dip. Philodendrons can survive in any type of sunlight: part-time, filtered or none. So this plant is perfect for apartments with only one window or bathrooms that don’t have any windows. Propagating this plant is easy—they can be started by water-rooting, suspending a cutting in water until it creates a root or by separating them in different pots. 

Dracaena Massangeana

This plant, along with its siblings, the corn palm and the dragon tree, are almost indestructible. The most common plant in the dracaena family is the dracaena massangeana and can grow from 15 inches in height to 15 feet. The large tropical leaves make great decor for any space, and if a brown spot appears, that could be an indicator of over or under-watering. The dracaena massangeana is not a fussy plant; just ensure that it has good drainage and is located in a shady space to avoid sun-scald. 

Haworthia Plant

The haworthia plant has leaves that grow in an elegant pattern stunningly similar to a rose. They flourish in conditions that are the same as the aloe plant. Place in indirect sunlight, water every three weeks, soaking the plant and plant in a porous pot like terracotta. 

While having an obnoxious amount of plants is a Pinterest dream come true, owning pots full of brown, smelly plants that are on death’s door is not. So, take care of your greenery, and it doesn’t hurt to have a book about plants on your side. 

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!