This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Do you need a new show to start binging on Netflix? Well, here is a list of my top five recommendations for you! First off, I would just like to say in no way am I telling you to procrastinate with these shows (but you are going to, these are the best!) Second, Netflix always releases good shows during the school year, so it’s kind of inevitable that we’re going to be procrastinating (why does Netflix got to do us like that?)

Alright, enough of my spiel. You guys need shows to watch, and I have them!

“Pose”

I recently finished watching this show, and let me tell you, it is so so so good!

“Pose” is an FX original show that was added to Netflix earlier this year. It has one season so far with eight episodes, each almost an hour long (give or take.) Set in 1980’s New York, “Pose” is a dance musical/drama that explores several aspects of life and society: the ball culture world, the rise of the Trump-era universe and the downtown social scene. It focuses on ‘houses,’ a self-selected family that provides support to LGBTQ youth who have been kicked out by their birth families for being themselves.

This show got a nomination for Best Television Series – Drama at the 2019 Golden Globes! Truly a must-see!

“Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj”

Hasan Minhaj, in my opinion, is the best standup comedian to have his own show on Netflix. Minhaj is not new to comedy at all, he’s most well known for being a political correspondent on The Daily Show with Trever Noah. He also had his own Netflix special came out in 2017 titled “Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King.”

On his show, Minhaj explores the political landscape around the world with depth and sincerity. He uses his unique comedic voice to take a closer look at the larger trends that are shaping the world.

“Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” won Outstanding Motion Design at the 2019 Emmy Awards!

“The Good Place”

“The Good Place” has been the one show that I have religiously watched each week on NBC.

Now, seasons one through three are on Netflix so let the binging begin! With a star-studded cast of Kristen Bell, Ted Danson, Jameela Jamil and many others, this show is worth its 96 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Eleanor Shellstrop, played by Bell, finds herself in the Good Place, but it doesn’t take her long to figure out that it was a mistake. She hides in plain sight from neighborhood architect Michael, played by Danson, and his all-knowing ‘assistant’ Janet, played by D’Arcy Carden. Her seemingly perfect neighbors, Tahani, Jason and her soulmate Chidi, Eleanor realize that it is never too late to change bad habits and attitudes.

Earning the Peabody Award for entertainment in 2019, “The Good Place” is objectively one of the best shows on TV. If you are a fan, look out for season four on September 26!

“The People vs. O.J. Simpson”

If you’re looking to watch a more serious show, and are into court cases like I am, then this show is for you!

This hard-hitting true-crime series brings the infamous 1994 case to the television screen. This is the first season of FX’s series American Crime Story, and it is centered around the trial of O.J. Simpson. Simpson was put on trial for two counts of murder, one victim being Nicole Brown Simpson, Simpson’s ex-wife, and the other being her partner Ron Goldman. Simpson’s trial spanned 11 months from November 9, 1994 to January 24, 1995.

If you enjoy true crime, then this show is for you!

“When They See Us”

Sticking with a more serious and heavy theme, this Netflix mini-series is worth the watch!

Based on the Central Park Five case, this show follows the lives of Yusef Salaam, Korey Wise, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana and Antron McCray when they were falsely accused and convicted as young boys in the Trisha Meili rape case of 1989 until they were proven innocent as grown men.

It is a definite must-see and provides insight that our justice system is not all that it claims to be.

Tara is a junior HPEX health science major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes hanging out with friends and family, trying out new places to eat and scrolling through dog videos in her free time.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!