Style > Beauty

5 Easy Hairstyles for Lazy Naturals as Modeled by the Author

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Whether you have been natural for years or are transitioning, we all know the struggle of figuring out what to do with our hair and how to make it cooperate. If you need some inspiration for your next style or just want to browse my throwback pictures, here are 5 easy hairstyles for lazy naturals!

1. The afro puff

This hairstyle is a staple in the natural hair community because it works so well with a majority of natural hair types and lengths! All you need to do is brush your hair toward the top of your head, place a large head band around your forehead and slide it up to gather your hair into a puff formation. The tighter and father the band is, the smaller your puff will be. To finish off this look, fluff your puff and lay your edges down with your favorite hair gel! For thicker or stubborn edges, I recommend a combination of Got2B gel and Eco Styler.

2. The head wrap/turban 

I truly love this hairstyle because it is the simplest and most versatile style to create. To start, pick your favorite scarf and even it out prevent any gaps. While wearing a wig cap, put the middle of the scarf on the back of your head and pull it forward. Holding both ends securely, start twisting them together. Begin wrapping the twisted ends into a bun and when you get to the end, tuck the ends into the bun and secure it with a bobby pin. To dress this style up, pair it with chandelier earrings and a bold lip color.

3. Wigs and weaves

Honestly, there is a soft spot in my heart for wigs and weaves. This is the ultimate lazy natural go-to because, depending on the type of hair, it takes less than 10 minutes to get primped and ready to go! Between these two style methods, wigs are more versatile because if you have multiple wigs, you can swap which one you wear each day depending on how you feel or what your schedule consists of. But unlike wigs, weaves are less of a commitment; a weave should only be in 1-3 months and afterwards you can throw it away and try a completely different style the next month.

4. Braids/Twists

Naturals, we all know and love our protective styles: Marley Twists, Box Braids, and Goddess Locs just to name a few. So when you feel like you don’t have time for your hair, take full advantage of these styles! One day out of your life to get braids or twists put in will save you so much energy and time in the weeks after. Even when it is time to switch up your look, instead of taking them out, you can partially unravel them to create a new do.

5. Big chop

Finally, we’ve come to the elephant in the room: the big chop. This is a bold step taken by girls and women who are frustrated with relaxers or want to try something new, but for some, this is a way to get out of constantly planning and figuring out what to do with their hair. Big chopping can be such a freeing and anxiety ridden experience, but again: it is just a hairstyle. There are so many ways to big chop, cutting it all off and starting over to trimming one to two inches to make your hair healthier. Whatever you decide to do, do it for you and the health of your hair.

Try one of these hairstyles on your next lazy day!

Audrey's just a gal alone in the city with a camera.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!