jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Cheap Things to Do in RVA This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Don’t want to spend fall in your dorm or apartment missing out on the crisp autumn air? Do you barely have any money but still want to have fun? Look no further! Here are five cheap and fun things for you and your BFF’s to do this fall!

Visit Chesterfield Berry Farm

Chesterfield Berry Farm is about 45 minutes from RVA and offers pumpkin picking and a Farm Market. During the fall season, they have festival weekends and one annual pumpkin festival. This is the perfect place to pick yourself a cute little pumpkin to carve and keep in your dorm! (Just make sure you don’t add a candle, we don’t want your RA coming after you!) Or, if carving doesn’t sound fun, try making a homemade pumpkin pie! Plus, there are other fruit picking seasons, like strawberry and blueberry, so if you can’t make it this fall, there is always spring!

Find a Festival

If a pumpkin festival isn’t your thing, find one that is! RVA has tons of festivals that range from food to crafts all year long! Fall is the perfect time to visit a festival because it’s nice and crisp, but not too cold (yet!) The best thing about festivals is that you aren’t obligated to spend any money and there are many festivals that you can walk to from campus, so you don’t have to worry about transportation if you don’t have a car!

Take a Cooking Class

Tired of eating at Shafer, Chick-fil-a and Ramen Spot? Learn how to make a yummy meal for yourself! Sur La Table is a place here in Richmond that offers a variety of cooking classes, from a ravioli workshop to “A Taste of Spain.” No experience in cooking? That’s okay, none is necessary! The only small downfall to this one is that it is $59 a class. Honestly, that’s a small price to pay to become a Ravioli expert, just saying!

Make Fall Soap or Bath Bombs

Who doesn’t love the smell of pumpkin or apple spice? Making soap or bath bombs is a fun activity to do when it’s too cold to go out, or if you just feel like chilling in your pajamas all day. This is a great activity to do with friends, alone or with a club. Nature’s Garden offers directions in making both of these things and more!

Volunteer!

This one is my personal favorite. Fall is a great time to try something new, like volunteering at a local food bank or shelter. One local place that accepts volunteers is Feed More. You can pack backpacks of food for kids, help prepare meals for those in need, or deliver meals to seniors! I love this organization because they are helping people here in Richmond through a variety of cool programs. If you aren’t feeling this one, don’t fret! There are tons of volunteer opportunities in RVA and even some through VCU. There is no better thing to do, no matter the season, than to volunteer your time.

Now that you have a few ideas, get out there and explore! There is no shortage of fun things to do in RVA, especially in the fall. If none of these suit your style, there are a million other things waiting to be discovered by you. So, get up, grab your backpack and fave cardigan and head out! Netflix can wait.

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!