This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Deep down, we all want to be one of those people who reads all day and has extensive knowledge about books and such, but when it comes down to it, opening up a book is probably one of the last things on your agenda today. Sometimes it’s hard to get into a good book when life is moving so fast and in so many different directions. So, I have compiled a list of my top five favorite books to get you out of your reading rut just in time for fall! 

“We Were Liars” by E. Lockhart

I want to start off by saying that I read this book faster than any book in my life. The characters are so compelling and so mysterious—every page gives you a little glimpse of the big picture. This book is set on a private island off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard called Beechwood, which belongs to the wealthy Sinclair family. Cadence Sinclair Eastwood had an accident in the summer of ’15, but she has no memory of what happened to her. Now she is back on the island, two years later, trying to piece together what she can remember. This book focuses on family relationships, self-acceptance and the mystery of one summer that will shock you. This is one of the best books I have ever read, so obviously I had to start off with it. 

“The Secret History” by Donna Tartt

“The Secret History” is the perfect book to cuddle up by a fire and read. Set in New England, the book follows a group of six close friends, all studying classics at Hampden College. The group, urged by one of their classics professors, go beyond anything they ever thought they could and then something terrible happens. This book deals with obsession, morality and a group of misfits finding out where they fit into their own worlds. This book is my most recent read, and it took me out of my reading comfort zone. 

“Nine Perfect Strangers” by Liane Moriarty

If you are still trying to hold on to the last moments of summer, then I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book. The book follows nine people, all from completely different backgrounds, as they all arrive for a 12 day stay at an exclusive health and wellness resort run by a mysterious health guru. Throughout this book, you get a glimpse into the reason each person decided to stay there. Some want to lose weight, and others want to be transformed into different people by the end of their stay. The ominous story-telling and the constant guessing are just some of the magical things about this book.

“Emergency Contact” by Mary H.K Choi

I read this book the summer before I left home for college, and I recommend this book for anyone who is going through changes. The book follows Penny, who is a college freshman, trying to find her way in the new world of college, and Sam, a 20-something boy who is grappling with the fact his ex-girlfriend is pregnant. This book took me by surprise and I genuinely could not put it down. It is an easy read that has stuck with me for years and made a really large impact on me as a young girl making her way through change. The characters are relatable and raw, which is something I really value as a reader. 

“Where’d You Go Bernadette” by Maria Semple

If you need a book that will take you on the adventure of a lifetime, this one’s for you. The book follows Bernadette Fox, mother to a genius daughter, wife to a loving husband and former architect. The Fox family lives in a beautiful home in Seattle, and they seemingly have it all together until Bernadette disappears one day into thin air. Her family is determined to find her as they take off on a journey to bring her home. This book is such a fun read from the moment you pick it up. 

With these books, I am sure you will be able to get back into the groove of reading this fall. To me, the most magical thing about reading is that you can escape the hustle and bustle and transport yourself into a different world. These books can do exactly that.

Grace Barratt is an outdoor enthusiast and has a passion for everything creative. She is double majoring in Creative and Strategic Advertising at VCU. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing and camping.
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!