4 Upcoming Movies You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Are you that movie buff that could sit in your room for hours with popcorn, soda, tons of new movies and have the best time ever? Well collegiettes™, I am too! There are a lot of great movies that are about to hit theaters in the upcoming months. Here are a few…

For starters, join other horror flick fanatics at the theater on October 18th for the release of the remake of the 1976 classic, Carrie. The original movie stared Sissy Spacek as the young, abused and timid 17-year-old girl who discovers her telekinesis out of the frustration of being bullied at school and the verbal abuse of her deeply religious mother. She uses her new found “powers” in unimagineable ways. The remake being released next week stars 16-year-old American film actress Chloe Grace Moretz and award-winning actress Julianne Moore as her mother. The film is being released just in time for Halloween to play up the old-fashioned scare factor of the film, so be sure to drag a friend along in case you get too scared!

On a lighter note, November 1st marks the date for the on-screen collaboration of the century. CBS Films and director Jon Tureltaub had their hands full with this film full of big shot old timers starring four movie legends like you’ve never seen them before in the release of Last Vegas.  Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline star in this comedy that tells the story of Billy, Paddy, Archie and Sam: best friends since childhood who are going through mid-life crisis. When Billy (Michael Douglas) proposes to his 32-year-old girlfriend, the four friends make their way to Las Vegas in hopes of reliving their glory days for Billy’s bachelor party. Upon arrival, they quickly realize Las Vegas isn’t what it used to be. As their friendship is tested, they begin on their quest to take over Vegas. This is definitely a movie that everyone should check out!

Mark your calendar for the release of The Best Man: Holiday on November 15th. This is also a remake of the classic movie The Best Man that starred Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Terrance Howard, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long, Harold Perrineau, Monica Calhoun and Melissa De Sousa. After 15 years apart, these college friends will finally reunite and realize just which hot romances and non-forgotten rivals are still blazing underneath the sands of time. Be ready to get into the holiday spirit!

Lastly, if you like thrillers and steamy actors like Christian Bale and Casey Affleck, you should definitely be on the lookout for the release of Out of the Furnace. Renowned director Scott Cooper, critically acclaimed writer and director of “Crazy Heart,” makes another masterpiece with this gritty drama. Christian Bale plays Russell Baze, a blue-collar worker at the local steel mill by day and caretaker for his ill father by night. When Baze’s brother Rodney (Casey Affleck) comes home from time served in Iraq, he gets caught up in an infamous crime ring and disappears. With no useful help from the police, Baze takes matters into his own hands and seeks justice for his brother. 

Kendall is a senior majoring in English at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is set to graduate in May 2015 and hopes to continue her career in Writing and Marketing, while dabbling in Public Relations.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.