4 Tips for Freshmen Going Home for Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Going back home for a long period of time for the first time is an unusual experience. Students who went home for fall break got a taste of what it’s like to be back home, but being back to your old stomping grounds for a month is a completely different feeling. People will tell you home never feels the same after you’ve gone away for school, and you’ll find that true. Everything seems familiar and it feels like a nice break from the usual college lifestyle, but it won’t feel the same as it did before you left in the fall. There are some things that you should keep in mind throughout the month you’re home to make the most out of it before you get thrown into the spring semester.

1. You don’t have to make time for everyone 

Going home is overwhelming in regards to reuniting with your old friends because it feels like there are so many people to see in such a short amount of time. Keep in mind that you’re not obligated to see everyone or hang out with everyone for an extended period of time. Spend a significant amount of time with your closest friends, but don’t stress yourself out over fitting everyone into your schedule.

2. Be nice to your parents

Obviously you should be nice to your parents all of the time but be prepared to have rules again. You’ve been free to do whatever you want whenever you want without having to answer to an authority figure. Now you’re back to being under the domain of your parents. They’ve missed you and want to make the most out of the time that you’re home so remember to stay patient and respectful.  

3. Prioritize your time

Plan your break out accordingly so you’re spending time with the people who are most important to you while at the same time ensuring you’re giving yourself time to recover from the semester.

4. Make time to relax 

Don’t get so caught up in seeing everyone and doing everything you want to that you forget to make time for yourself. Get as much sleep in as you can throughout the month.

cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!