4 Things You May Not Know About Extroverts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Many people split the world into two types of personalities: extroverts and introverts. Introverts are known to value alone time and tend to be reserved, reflective and often shy; drawing energy from alone time. Extroverts fall at the opposite end of the spectrum as outgoing and demonstrative; often drawing energy from company and group settings. Of course, there are many people who fall under both categories as a mixture of the two personality types. If you are unsure of which type you may be, there are many quizzes you can take to be sorted into one side or the other.

As both personalities are so opposite and such popular terms of categorization, there are multiple stereotypes connected to introversion and extroversion, many of which are true. However, people are unique and often these personality traits can be exaggerated and stereotyped so far that they lose their “humanness.” For example, there are some traits many extroverts experience that are perhaps unexpected and certainly ignored by the majority of discussions and stereotypes of extroversion. As an extrovert, I want to bring to light some of these misconceptions.

1. Extroverts can experience shyness

Despite being outgoing people overall; extroverts can feel uncomfortable or shy in certain situations. It is difficult for anyone to walk into a room full of complete strangers and not feel awkward. Likewise, not all extroverts are comfortable with public speaking. Despite finding it easy to talk to most people, I can get shy when around people I don’t know without anyone I do know with me. Making new friends isn’t always easy, even extroverts.

2. Extroverts do enjoy alone time

Even if you are a person who enjoys being surrounded by friends, everyone loves an occasional night (or even entire day) to relax alone, and maybe throw on a ridiculous face mask while binge watching Netflix. The difference between introverts and extroverts is that the introvert will probably never want to leave the coziness of alone time whereas the extrovert will eventually get bored or lonely.

3. Extroverts can get lonely

Despite having a reputation of being constantly surrounded by people and things to do, sometimes even extroverts can get bored. Every extrovert has experienced a time when plans fell through or all of their friends were busy. When plans you were looking forward to fall through or all of your friends are too busy to do anything (we’re looking at you, finals week) it is a huge disappointment for an extrovert.

4. There is a pressure to be “on”

Extroverts are loud and vivacious people– most of the time. But everyone has bad days. The expectation to always be exciting, funny and talkative can put pressure on extroverts to always be that way instead of being allowed to feel and show different emotions.

Extroverts, introverts and everything in between are people with feelings and emotions which cannot always be contained by one personality bubble, and that is okay. We are all special snowflakes.

Images: 1 2 3 

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!