This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

During this pandemic, it’s been very difficult to gauge what activities are still safe for everyone to participate in. Dates have always been a fun bonding activity for couples and single people looking to mingle, but because a lot of people want to protect personal and public health, they have not been going out on dates as much. What most people don’t realize is that there are still plenty of activities you can do whilst social distancing! Here are four super cute date ideas for those looking to have fun while being socially responsible! 

Visit a Pumpkin Patch 

Visiting the pumpkin patch is an amazing idea for a date! Since the patches are outdoors, you can keep six feet between you and any other people on the patch, and, if necessary, you also have enough room to keep six feet between you and your date as well. After picking out pumpkins together, you can go to a park or your house, if this is someone you are able to be in close proximity to and carve the pumpkins together.

Then you can end the date by watching a fall movie together while munching on some snacks. If you’re doing so in a park while socially distancing, I’d recommend that you both sync up your devices and watch while sitting six feet away from each other and munching on your individual snacks.  

Visit an Apple Orchard 

Nothing gets you in the fall spirit like apple-picking! Visiting an apple orchard is a great way to bond because it allows you to get a chance to talk as you wander the orchard looking for the perfect apples. Orchards are usually very large, so that gives you a lot of room to socially distance from other visitors or your date if needed.

After picking the apples, if you are okay with your date being in close proximity, you can go back to your home and create tasty treats featuring apples like candy apples, caramel apples, apple fritters or even apple pie! If you are trying to stay socially distant from your date, you guys could part ways at the orchard, then FaceTime or Skype each other when you get home and have a competition to see who can create the best treat from the apples you gathered.  

Paint in the Park 

A lot of people have this misconception that you have to be artistic to paint on a date, but you do not have to have an artistic bone in your body to do this. Painting is just a form of expression—your final product does not have to look like something that belongs in a museum.

You and your date can go to a park and bask in the glory of nature and allow it to inspire you to paint something. A park provides enough room for you to stay socially distant from other park visitors or your date. You can also bring snacks along with you to the park to eat while you paint if you want to add a food element to the equation.  

Visit a Botanical Garden

Visiting a botanical garden is a great way to embrace the beauty of nature without actually getting down and dirty. The flowers and plants create a nice romantic environment for a date, and since the gardens are outdoors and have a lot of space, it is very easy to social distance. Walking around the garden will allow you to get a chance to converse and connect with your date, and you’ll get to enjoy the nice fall weather while getting in a bit of exercise in as well.  

Make sure you wear your mask, wash your hands frequently and stay six feet away from people if you choose to go to any of these locations for a date!

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.