4 Simple Ways to Increase Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Productivity? Who needs it, right?

Though it’s easy to sit around for hours and get nothing done, you’ll feel better (and probably do better) in life and classes if you try a couple of easy things to pack in everything you need to do.

1. Find your study habit and stick to it.

It can be super easy to hang out with your friends down by Starbucks in Cabell until a couple hours go by and you realize the only thing you finished was your Caramel Macchiato. Do some investigating and find what studying method works the best for you. Maybe you’re a morning studier or you like to sit in silence in your dorm. Maybe you’re a night owl who needs people around her to get stuff done. Whatever floats your boat is cool, but experiment around to see what leads you to be most productive and then stick to that.

2. Try the Pomodoro Technique.

The Pomodoro technique involves setting a timer and studying (or working) for 25 minutes before taking a short three to five-minute break. After completing four “pomodoros,” you get a longer break (closer to 20 or 30 minutes). This is a great way to stay focused and limit your other distractions while still promising yourself a break.

3. Make a to-do list.

I know. This is the oldest advice in the book, but it’s old because it works! Writing down (or just typing on your phone) a list not only helps you plan out what you need to get done for the day, but it also is super satisfying to cross off all the stuff you get done! If making a list isn’t your thing, try just telling someone what you plan to get done. Often, verbalizing something to someone else holds you to a higher level of accountability and gives you that little extra push to get something finished.

4. Try starting your day earlier.

Look, I don’t like getting up early as much as the next person, but I’ve found that when I get my butt to the gym in the mornings and start my day off early I’m more productive. Scheduling alone time for yourself in the morning to watch your favorite T.V. show (if you just can’t stomach the gym before 8 a.m.) is another great way to have some free-time so that you can get down to business later.

Photo credit: Alexa Benhart

Alexa is a freshmen at VCU studying Cinema with minors in Creative Writing and French. She enjoys horseback riding, eating cake pops, and procrastinating.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!