This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As a college student, you may find it hard to figure out to do on Halloween if you don’t want to attend a party. Lucky for you, I made a list of the top four alternatives to partying on Halloween!

Have a Friends Night-In!

What could be better than having a cozy night in celebrating the holiday with your BFF’s? Nothing! If you live somewhere where kids come by to Trick-or-Treat, start your night by handing out candy. If not, get a bag of your favorite candy, your favorite fall candle, a classic Halloween movie and some festive pajamas. That is the recipe for a successful Halloween night in.

Visit a Haunted House or Escape Room

If you don’t want to stay home, you can plan an evening of visiting haunted houses or escape rooms. There are a few located in and around RVA. Most haunted houses start around 7 p.m. and escape rooms open in the early afternoon. Start the evening by solving puzzles and rushing through an escape room then end it with an adrenaline rush at a haunted house. Sounds like a perfect Halloween to me!

Volunteer to Take a Kid Trick-or-Treating

You know you miss Trick-or-Treating, it was literally the best night of the whole year, so why not help make other kids Halloweens amazing? You can volunteer to take your younger siblings, cousins, nieces or nephews on the hunt for candy so that their parents can have a night to themselves. If you really want to go all out, dress up with them! You can be the Maleficent to their Mal (from Disney’s Descendants), the Anna to their Elsa, or the Shaggy to their Scooby-Doo. You can spice it up even more by making them a map of the neighborhoods that you plan on visiting so that it feels like a treasure hunt! Just make sure you wear your comfiest shoes!

Participate in a Local Trunk-or-Treat

Decorating your car trunk and handing out candy is a really easy yet rewarding way to participate in Halloween. Local churches and community organizations put on Trunk-or-Treats as an alternative way for kids to get candy and dress up. They usually have fun games and vendors too, which can be fun for everyone. If you feel like going big, bring a game for the kids to play at your trunk. Some examples could include fishing with magnets, corn hole or bean bag toss. From my own experience, kids love these types of games and it is adorable to watch them play.

Bonus: If You Are Going to a Party, Please be Safe!

Going to parties can be really fun so many college students will be spending their Halloween night at local parties around campus. If you are going to be drinking, remember to arrange a safe and reliable ride home, never sit your drink down and know your limits. Try not to put yourself in an unsafe situation that could cause you to get hurt. Halloween should be a time for fun, dressing up in crazy or creative costumes and being with people that make you happy, not a time of misjudgment or bad decisions.

Whatever you decide to do this Halloween, stay safe and have fun. It only happens once a year, so live it up!

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!