This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Tarot cards have always been interesting to me, and as I was just getting into them, I was totally lost. There so many cards with a variety of meanings based on what you ask them. Thousands of people believe they tell the future, but they are more so for spiritual guidance. For example, say you are romantically interested in someone or took on a new job, and you are wondering if you are going down the right path; you can ask the deck. Depending on the spread you do and the cards you get, your answer can differ. I believe these cards are great for self-development, mediating and setting goals.

Familiarize The Cards

All decks consist of 78 cards. Each card has different symbolism and imagery, and in some decks, they will provide you a small booklet to help guide you. There are 22 Major Arcana cards that represent spiritual lessons. On these cards, it tells you exactly what it is, making these cards the easiest to remember, in my opinion. Then, there are the 56 Minor Arcana cards that reflect the obstacles that we face on a daily basis. The Minor Arcana cards are split into 16 Tarot Court Cards, which represent 16 differing personality traits. In addition, the Minor Arcana cards also include 40 numbered cards, which are divided into four suits that depict varying daily situations. With all the cards, it may be difficult to memorize all of them; however, it will help significantly to at least have an idea of what they mean. It has personally helped me to write down short meanings in my notebook. 

Learn Basic Spreads

When I started tarot, I was completely fascinated by all the complex spreads. However, I had no idea to do them, nor did I have any idea what they meant. That is when I decided it would probably be best to stick to the basic Three-Card spread. This spread has a variety of meanings in many different situations. However, in the video that I have provided, Katey Flowers discusses other spreads other than the Three-Card Spread: 

One-Card Readings: This is meant for finding gratitude, the energy for the day or what you can embody for the day.

Two-Card Readings: This spread is to release and receive/forgive and forget. In addition, this spread can also show you what you are doing well and what you could do better. Lastly, it could be as simple as stop doing this, do this instead.

Four or Five-Card Readings: This is an elemental spread (earth/practical, air/mental, fire/passion, water/emotions). Five cards give a more holistic view.

Maintain Good Energy

My last bit of advice is maintaining good energy while performing a reading. No matter what card you get, I highly suggest that you remain calm. Always remember that this is a spiritual guide to help direct you in the right direction. You can do this by creating a tradition, like purifying your hands by dipping them in water or clearing your mind by meditating beforehand. It is extremely important to try to connect to our subconscious mind so that we can receive wisdom from our Higher Self.

These three small pieces of advice can go a long way into your tarot adventure. These cards can be a lot of fun with your friends but remember they are a divination tool. With these tips, I believe that you can easily help guide yourself and be connected to yourself more than ever before.

Kaitlyn Austin is an alumnus of Virginia Commonwealth University, with a bachelor's in political science with a concentration in civil rights. She is passionate about social justice, advocacy, and astrology.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!