yearbook style photos of young people
yearbook style photos of young people
Photos by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Style > Beauty

3 Beauty Features I’m Learning To Love (And You Should Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With warmer weather approaching, I find myself overly critical of my appearance, even over features I can’t control. It’s important to remember that we are our biggest critics. Chances are no one is noticing that new pimple that popped up. And even if they do, so what?

Contrary to what social media portrays, humans aren’t meant to look like filters. What may seem imperfect to you might be considered perfect to another. Constantly picking at your appearance is not the way to live.

This year and forward, let’s strive for peace with how we are, but still prioritize our physical, nutritional, and mental health. Here are some features I’m learning to love and why you should too. 

Stretch Marks

To me, stretch marks are a reminder of how my body has grown with me through the years. I think it’s honestly quite beautiful to have a physical reminder of all the amazing things your body has done. I’m not the same middle school girl (I actually have curves now) and I think that’s something to be proud of!

Also, think about the stretch marks on pregnant people. Their body is quite literally growing a human and stretch marks are just another badass reminder of what the human body is capable of. Think about stretch marks on weightlifters. Each stretch mark is a reminder of progress and achieving goals. Stretch marks are nothing to be ashamed of. Wear them proudly. 

Kellyn Simpkin-Strong Girl Flexing And Smiling
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
eye bags/dark circles

Dark circles and eye bags, to me, are a reminder of all the late-night study sessions. I work hard to achieve my goals and if that comes with dark circles, so be it. Dark circles under my eyes remind me of the commitment I make to my future.

I still prioritize my sleep but sometimes, no matter how many hours of sleep I get, I am just tired. Dark circles and eye bags are my body’s way of telling me to reset, slow down and prioritize myself. Honestly, I think they add a certain depth to my face. 

curly/unruly hair

My curly hair is something I’ve struggled to appreciate my whole life. I’d be lying if I said that I let my natural curls out more often than not. Full transparency, my Revlon one-step hair dryer is my best friend.

However, I’ve been learning to appreciate the spontaneity and unpredictability of my hair. My whole life I always thought I needed to “tame” it. There’s something beautiful about just letting my curls do their thing. Even the frizz, bring it on. 

There are many other features of myself I still struggle with loving. However, I know that life is too short to spend obsessing over things I cannot control. Every feature I have is a feature I got from my heritage and I choose to show them proudly.

This article is a reminder to you that you are beautifully made and deserve to feel at peace. Self-love is a journey so take the time to appreciate the small things that make you, you.

Hi, my name is Namitha and I am a sophomore at VCU majoring in Biology. I believe writing has the power to move people and make the world a better place. I love watching shows, specifically murder mysteries. In my free time, you'll find me at the mall, gym, or napping on my couch.