21 Life Lessons I Have Learned Since Turning 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Twenty-one is a big age for anyone. Do we know everything about life? Not at all, but being twenty-one means you are starting to collect these lessons. Here are twenty-one lessons I have learned so far.

1. It is okay not to know what you want your future to look like when in college.

2. People will come and go in your life. Keep hold on the ones who you truly love and want in your life to meet your grandkids.

3. Family is a lovely thing to have, but it is not vital to a happy life.

4. Learn how to cook in college. When you are in your career with a partner and family, knowing how to cook from college makes life so much easier.

5. Regardless on your major, college can be very hard on your mental health. Always remember to take a break and put yourself first.

6. Quality over quantity when it comes to friends, always. There is no point having so many friends if you feel lonelier.

7. Always maintain contacts you make in college and in your career. You never know who can hook you up with a job if times get tough.

8. When you are in your career, always stay ambitious. If someone gives you crap for it, it is because they are jealous of you.

9. The best lessons come from making mistakes. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes.

10. Your best friend may not have your best interests in heart and make the whole friendship. It is okay to cut them out of your life.

11. Make financially sound choices. Do you really need that $5 drink from Starbucks when Dunkin’ Donuts coffee is just as good for little over $3?

12. Watch the news. Sometimes, the news can get repetitive and depressing to watch. But it makes you an informed citizen and if you find yourself in a conversation about a piece of news, you will know what you are talking about.

13. Read some good books. Reading can enrich your mind and allows you to enter some cool universes that the authors create.

14. Own a really nice pair of boots. They go with literally anything in your closet.

15. Learn how to sew. As a fashion major, sewing is essential. But for anyone else, sewing is a skill that not many people have and it is vital if you somehow find a hole in your favorite garment.

16. Listen to whatever music makes you happy. K-pop and pop-punk is my favorite genre of music and even though people have made me fun of liking them, it doesn’t matter to me because it makes me happy.

17. Don’t give into stupid trends. Some trends are really nice and cute meanwhile others are cringy and questionable. Be mindful of what trends you want to and it is okay to follow trends.

18. Find a signature perfume/cologne. Makes life easier when you find a scent that resonates with you and goes with any outfit. Same goes with jewelry.

19. Have a planner and put everything in it. I can not live without mine because I rely on it so much because without it, I wouldn’t know what needs to be done. Not a fan on traditional planners? To-do lists are just as effective.

20. Drink water. I am guilty of forgetting to drink water some days but it is dangerous to not drink water for days on end. Your body will thank you when you drink water.

21. Always be true to who you are, no matter what. People in society will constantly try and tell you who you are and what you should be. Never listen and live your life how you want to.

Arba Choudhury is currently a senior at VCU, majoring in Fashion Design. In addition to being a writer for HerCampus at VCU, she is also the Social Media Director and runs the Instagram for the chapter. Choudhury loves watching YouTube videos, browsing on Pinterest, and hanging out with her friends in her free time. She loves reading about style and beauty while also keeping up with pop culture and current events.