This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Her Campus VCU has partnered with A Global Friendship for the month of February. This partnership is all about empowering women and using our commanding #InnerVoice. Empowered women are strong, independent, passionate and a million other things. Women like this can be great role models. These 16 empowered women are already killing 2016:

1)      Beyoncé Knowles

Obviously. It is barely two months into 2016 and Beyoncé has already slayed. Her new song ‘Formation’ is about black excellence and empowerment and her performance at the Super Bowl has everyone talking. Bey’s passion and strength are inspiring.

2)      Taylor Swift

America’s Sweetheart won all our hearts when she became the first woman to win a Grammy for best album of the year twice. Her acceptance speech spoke against her haters, and encouraged women to take credit for their own success.

3)      Amal Clooney

Both a style icon and a successful human rights lawyer, Amal Clooney is a symbol of strength and beauty. Her professionalism and graceful demeanor are certainly something to look up to.

4)      Hillary Clinton

Despite your political views, Hillary Clinton is breaking barriers for women by being a strong candidate in this year’s election. Whether or not she is elected, her race is paving the way for the United States one day having a female president. Her role in politics could lead us to a more diverse and representative government.

5)      Emma Watson

Known for her feminist activism, Emma Watson has just announced that she is taking a break from acting to focus on feminism and on her own personal development. While we may miss her exceptional acting skills, Emma’s thirst for self-improvement is inspiring.

6)      Ashley Graham

Ashley Graham has been a rising symbol for body positivity. She has recently become a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model, breaking many body-positive boundaries in the world of fashion.

7)      Kerry Washington

Star actress of the show “Scandal,” Kerry Washington plays a strong female character. She often speaks up on activist movements and continues to amaze us all with her talent. This beautiful actress is a role model, a strong, successful woman.

8)      Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey has been showing the world that strong is sexy. She kicks ass in and out of the ring, and is a big advocate for body-positivity and mental health awareness.

9)      Jada Pinkett Smith

Jada Pinkett Smith has been a loud voice in the Oscars debate, demanding inclusion and diversity. Her success in music, acting and business is empowering.

10)  Gina Rodriguez

Actress, Gina Rodriguez has started the hashtag #MovementMondays to celebrate other impactful members of the Latino community. This uplifting and empowering movement makes us love the Jane the Virgin star even more.

11)  Kesha

Kesha has been in the spotlight lately due to her legal battle against her producer. Kesha’s bravery to take such a public stand against sexual assault has us all rooting for her. Her strength is inspirational.

12)  Ava Duvernay

A director and screenwriter, Ava Duvernay is furthering her career by directing Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time.” This is impressive in part because of the lack of female directors on big films. She is also a vocal advocate for diversity in the film industry.

13)  Amber Rose

Amber Rose is taking a stand against slut-shaming. She is not afraid to call anyone out for sexist or shaming comments. Her passion for sex positivity and consent is only one reason to adore this strong, passionate style icon.

14)  Viola Davis

An outspoken advocate for minorities in media, Viola Davis is both an actress and an activist. Her success and passion is empowering.

15)  Perrie Edwards

Perrie Edwards got a lot of attention because of her relationship and breakup with Zayne Malik. However, Perrie has not been crying and eating ice cream since the breakup with Zayne. She has been living her life with confidence and furthering her career in the music industry. Her independence and success shows us that we don’t need a man to find happiness.

16)  Michelle Obama

The First Lady is constantly inspiring women of all ages. She is opening up conversations for mental health, education, empowerment, success, and much more. President Obama is a lucky man.

These are just a few examples of women who inspire and empower young women to use their inner voice and become strong, successful women. Who would you add to the list? 

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!