15 ’90s Songs You Can Still Vibe To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

From VHS tapes to dial-up internet to Game Boys, ’90s kids remember a lot from back in the day. We’re all about nostalgia, and we certainly can’t forget about the music? Everyone (’90s kids included) can still vibe to these songs:

1. “Honey” by Mariah Carey

This song is for all my ladies who are in love with or have liked someone whose love is so sweet you can’t help but be attracted to them like a bee is attracted to honey. 

2. “Creep” by TLC

“Creep” is a certified bop that will go down in music history. Whether you hear this song in the club, in the car or at the grocery store you can instantly vibe to it. This song is perfect for those who are in a relationship that just isn’t fulfilling their needs. TLC says two can play that game.

3. “I Can Love You” by Mary Blige feat. Lil’ Kim

Hurt, sadness and confusion, Mary made you feel it all throughout this song. Lil’ Kim added the perfect amount of rawness to this classic R&B hit. It’s a must-hear. 

4. “You Make Me Wanna” by Usher

Where do I even start? This song cemented Usher as a legend. “You Make Me Wanna” is about how he leave his girl for the woman he loves and be happier with. I’m guilty of blasting this song on my phone every time I hear it.

5. “Back & Forth” by Aaliyah

This is the perfect song to dance to– especially on a Friday night.  You can’t listen to this song and without finding yourself moving to the beat.

6. “Weak” by SWV

“Weak” is a classic R&B slow jam that will make you sing your heart out like you’re in love– even if you’re really not.

7. “I Wanna Be Down” by Brandy

First and foremost, I cannot believe that Brandy was writing hits like this as a 15-year-old, but to this day “I Wanna Be Down” is the song my girls and I can’t help but sing along with. We know it word for word.

8. “Next Lifetime” by Erykah Badu

“Next Lifetime” is about Erykah’s infatuation with a man she knows she can’t have, but hopes she can see again. The smooth and mellow beat to this song creates an easy connection. 

9. “I Get Lonely” by Janet Jackson

It wouldn’t be the ’90s if I didn’t mention Janet’s “I Get Lonely.” This song is guaranteed to get you in your feelings. If you’re not familiar with it, let me break it down for you, this song is about how she’s head over heels in love and there’s nobody else. Without him, she feels totally empty. This is a song you can bump everytime you listen to it.

10. “Can We Talk” by Tevin Campbell  

This song is the quintessential sweet love story of a boy who is trying to muster the courage to talk to a girl. This song will remind you of those innocent tongue-tied days of crushes.

11. “Ex-Factor” by Lauryn Hill

Hands down, “Ex-Factor” is one of Lauryn’s Hill best songs. I’ve never met anyone who has not vibed to this song when they hear it. “Ex-Factor” is the blueprint of what your significant other wants and deserves.

12. “You Used to Love Me” by Faith Evans

You can tell Faith Evans is hurting while singing this song, which brings forth all of her energy while singing it. She pours out her emotions about not being appreciated and how she wasn’t loved. We all know the pain being rejected and unappreciated, but it’s a nice reminder you’re not alone. 

13. “Ascension (Don’t Ever Wonder)” by Maxwell

Maxwell’s slow groove on this song and his harmonies will make you fall in love this song. His infatuation for the woman he is singing about makes us a little jealous as we wonder who she really is.

14. “The Boy Is Mine” by Brandy & Monica

This song is guaranteed to start a fight on karaoke night. You and your friend can’t stop arguing about who will sing Brandy’s or Monica’s part. “The Boy Is Mine” made you fall in love with it when you were still too young to understand what love really was. 

15. “You’re Makin’ Me High” by Toni Braxton

I couldn’t end my list without mentioning Toni Braxton. This song is about two things that you were very much too young for in the ’90s, marijuana and sex, but is still such a hot song.

What ’90s song is still your favorite?

Kelsey is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying mass communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. When she is not involved with school, she likes to catch up on her reality shows and stuff her face with Snicker bars.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!