12 Things to Spend Your Refund Check On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s the time of year again — when some college students have received a refund check in the mail. Just two weeks back from winter break and now you have a newfound source of income. The new challenge is figuring out ways to spend your refund. Personally I do one of two things, I either splurge on myself or make the money stretch and spend it on responsible things like rent, utilities or a deposit on a new apartment for next year. Here are just some responsible and irresponsible things you can spend your new wealth on.

1. Name-brand makeup products.

College kids love makeup. We can’t help fantasizing about all the great overpriced makeup brands from makeup tutorials, but often instead of breaking the bank and buying name-brand we often settle for drug store. However, this refund has changed the game for us. Splurge on yourselves, ladies.

2. A plane ticket for spring break.

Spring break is fun but also extremely expensive. The trip you thought you couldn’t do earlier in the school year just became doable. So go ahead and book that flight to Buenos Aires, Jamaica or even the Dominican Republic.

3. New shoes and clothes.

If you’re anything like me you have done some window online shopping and added a thousand and one things to your online shopping carts at Nordstrom, Zara and Banana Republic and told yourself “I’ll just leave them there and buy them next week.” Next week turned into next month and at the rate you’re going you’ll be asking for it as a graduation gift instead. Go ahead and buy everything that sitting in your online shopping cart and cry about it later.

4. Some sort of new electronic.

Trust me, I understand you totally would have bought that Apple watch and iPhone 7 you saw on sale during cyber Monday, but the way your account was set up it just wasn’t in the cards for you at the time. Your time is now so get yourself something electronically special. You deserve it!

5. A Gym Membership.

Your New Year’s resolution was to lose weight, and now you can officially put your dedication to your New Year’s resolution to the test. Go out and get yourself a gym membership and maybe even a personal trainer.

6. Groceries.

This is simple. Just get yourself something other than chicken nuggets, ramen and chicken breast. In other words, try filling your grocery cart up with healthy organic options if you’re feeling bad and boujee.

7. Rent.

Try keeping the roof over your head for another month or two.

8. A well needed Treat-Yo-Self day.

Take care of you and your body and just relax. Go out and get your nails, hair and maybe a massage.

9. An activity with your friends you’ve always wanted to do

Go paintballing, to a gun range or even an escape room.

10. Go on a road trip.

Bring some gas money buy a ton of road snack and just head anywhere you’ve always wanted to go in reasonable distance. Just live a little!

11. Buy your Textbooks.

Try purchasing your school text instead of Googling for online PDF’s.

12. Skin care products.

Your skin has probably been through the ringer with the constant weather change and you not having time to really exfoliate and much as you’d like to. I suggest you take a day and see a dermatologist or just order some of your favorite skin products that you ran out of a while ago.

The possibilities are endless. These are just some of the things you can buy without asking your parents for money or using the money earned from working your part-time job.

Saiounia is a 20 year old Broadcast Journalism major studying at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her name is pronounced (Say-oh-knee-uhh). She is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Saiounia is a food junkie and loves adventure. In her spare time she can be found at local food festivals and family owned coffee shops.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!