11 Strategies to Staying Safe on the Streets of RVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As we all know, Richmond isn’t exactly the safest place to live. In fact, it used to be the ‘murder capital’ of the United States. Lately, our students have been getting VCU Alerts concerning nearby robberies and assaults. Seeing that we are in an urban setting, these events happen often. To keep our VCU students safe on the streets of Richmond, Her Campus VCU has compiled a list of ways to stay safe!

1. Don’t walk with earphones in

According to a study published in the journal Injury Prevention, 116 pedestrians in the U.S. died or were injured between 2004 and 2011 because they were wearing headphones and did not hear or see oncoming cars or trains approaching.  It is important to stay alert at all times when crossing the street or even walking in general. 

2. Don’t text

Texting and walking can be just as dangerous as texting and driving. It’s easy to get distracted by a simple text message. You think replying back quickly won’t do any harm, but an accident can happen the moment you put your head down to check your phone. Also, it is easy to stray from a straight path while texting and walking. 

3. Use RamSafe instead of walking

If you don’t feel comfortable walking around campus at night like most students, use RamSafe. RamSafe is a free transportation service that can take you anywhere on campus. It runs everyday starting at 5pm until 8am the next morning.  You can access RamSafe via desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone, or call 828-SAFE (7233). VCU even has its own app called VCU Mobile that you can access RamSafe on. 

4. VCU alerts

As pesky as VCU alerts can be, they’re meant to keep you safe. It’s important to be an informed member of the community. VCU Alerts notify you of any criminal activity on or near campus. You can learn more about VCU alerts and how to sign up here: http://alert.vcu.edu/signup/index.php  

5. Always walk in groups 

There is safety in numbers. It’s always better to go out with a group of friends than alone. A stranger or predator is more likely to approach if you are by yourself.

6. Carry around pepper spray

Pepper spray is a personal defense weapon that can cause temporary blindness, make it hard to breathe, and even kill you if used excessively. It’s pretty unlikely that you’ll actually use it on the streets of Richmond, but at least you’ll feel safer knowing you could if something were to happen. 

7. Know your numbers

It’s important to know certain phone numbers in case of emergencies. For on-campus emergencies, call (804) 828-1234. For off-campus or immediate emergencies, call 911. It is also a good idea to have a parent’s or close friend’s number memorized. 

8. Don’t walk around with valuables

Valuables such as diamond necklaces attract thieves. It’s best not to travel with them at all, but if you have to, make sure they’re tucked away in a book bag or purse where they can’t be seen. Also, make sure there is nothing in your back pocket as items in there can been easily stolen without you realizing. 

9. Tell someone where you’re going

Whether it’s your mom or a friend, make sure to tell someone the exact location of where you’re going and how long you plan to stay. Notify them as soon as you get there. That way, someone knows in case of an emergency. Also, let someone know when you plan to leave that place to ensure you get home safely. 

10. Stay in well-lit areas

It’s always better to walk in well-lit and populated paths. Avoid using dark alleyways, parking lots, trails…etc., even if it is the short cut. You’re less likely to get robbed this way.

11. Walk with confidence

The last thing you want to do when walking around is look afraid. This makes you an easy target. Predators can sense fear and will attack, especially if you seem distracted. Walk with your back straight and your head fixed forward. Act as if you know exactly where you’re going even if you don’t. 

Kristina Hipolito is a Chesapeake native and a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations, she has a passion for writing, traveling, and event planning. Her aspirations include one day moving to the big city and working in either the entertainment travel/leisure, or media industry as a PR Professional, Marketing Coordinator, or Event Planner. In her spare time, you can find her on campus running to her next meeting or updating her multiple social networking sites. Follow her on Twitter @ktinaah or read her blog kristinahipolito.blogspot.com!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!