100 Years of Billie Holiday: The Story Behind the Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This April marks 100 years of one of the most iconic and influential singers to ever sing jazz music.

Billie Holiday was born Eleanora Fagan on April 7, 1915 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Growing up in Baltimore, Maryland, she had a poor home life – a teenage mother, a nonexistent father and abusive relatives. As a young girl, she was raped and sent to a reform school. When she finished, she fell into prostitution and began working at a brothel. It was there that Holiday turned to music to find peace of mind. 

As an adult, she lived a careless lifestyle. She used colorful language and had constant weight problems. She also indulged in affairs with both men and women and was a heavy user. Her drugs of choice were marijuana, opium and heroin. Like her life, her voice was not untouched. Holiday had no formal training as a vocalist, but her voice is poignant and her unique style and phrasing are like no other singer. There is a raw, improvisational quality to the way she sings a song. One can’t help but feel as though she’s not only singing the song, but living it.

Your Mother’s Son-in-Law – words & music by Alberta Nichols and Mann Holiner

As a teenager, Holiday was already singing regularly in Harlem jazz clubs. It was there that she was discovered by record producer John Hammond and shortly after cut her first record. It included two songs, Your Mother’s Son-in-Law and Riffin’ The Scotch. Soon she created a stage name which was a combination of a popular film stars name at the time, Billie Dove, and her father’s stage surname “Holiday.”

Don’t Explain – words & music by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr.

This song was said to have been written after an incident in which Holiday’s husband, Jimmy Monroe, came home one night with lipstick traces smudged all over his shirt collar. Her response: “Lyin’ to me was worse than what he could’ve done with any bitch. I cut him off just like that. Take a bath man, I said, don’t explain.”

God Bless the Child – words & music by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr.

Holiday was said to have written this song after an argument with her mother over money. She indicated that during the argument, her mother said the line, “God bless the child that’s got his own.” The incident was emotionally stirring for Holiday and she used her mother’s words as inspiration for a song.

Strange Fruit – words & music by Abel Meerpol

This song was originally a protest poem written by a high school teacher, Abel Meeropol. It was meant to expose American racism and comments directly on the lynching of African Americans in southern states. Holiday was hesitant about singing the song, but she believed the message to be important and made it a part of her regular live act. Because of the controversial subject matter, Holiday would often close with the number. 

Lover Man – words & music by Jimmy Davis, Roger Ramirez, and James Sherman

Holiday covered hundreds of songs in her 44 years and Lover Man is just one of many that remain highly associated with her. She was one of the first black performers to be featured in an all-white band and continues to inspire and entertain with her unique voice.

Information credited to the Official Billie Holiday Website.

Gia is a Fashion Merchandising student at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!