Life > Experiences

9 Things No One Tells You About Traveling to Egypt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This summer, I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go to Egypt. As someone who sees travel as the purpose of life, I soaked up every part of the trip, learning so much about the culture, traditions, and history of the country. I definitely grew as a person on this trip, and trust me when I tell you that the first chance I get to go back, I am hopping on that 11-hour flight. But, until then, I have so many memories I will never live down and never stop telling everyone that will listen. So, that being said, here are 10 random facts that no one tells you about going to Egypt.

1. It’s safer than you think

Against American stereotypes, not once did I feel like I was in danger. Granted, there are certain areas you cannot visit, but guides do not take you to those places. There is a strong military presence at almost every major Egyptian site, including armed guards, metal detectors and bag checks upon entry. There were even multiple toll-booth-like stops with the military to make sure nothing was suspicious, but I never felt unsafe. Yes, terrorist attacks exist in Egypt, but they do pretty much anywhere else. If anything, sometimes I felt safer than I do in my own country. 

2. Always have a guide 

I know I just said it’s safer than you think, and it is, but logistically speaking, do not go to Egypt without a guide. Although some people are taught English in school, many people you come in contact with do not speak English. If you don’t speak Arabic, it is nearly impossible to communicate effectively. Also, it is much safer to have a guide with you when you are at markets because they will mark up the price for unknowing Americans (this happened to us a few times).

In addition, there are a lot of vendors following you trying to sell things, and it is difficult to make them go away. If you are anything like me and never want to come off as mean, having that person to advocate for you is super helpful. Lastly, guides made going to sites so much more enjoyable. Our guide was an Egyptologist and told us the history behind the sites we visited and stories to go with the artifacts in the museums, really making everything we saw come to life.

3. You will never run out of history

I know they say ancient Egypt is full of history, but it is a never-ending pit of historical sites, museums, and architecture. From seeing the Pyramids and Sphinx to artifacts, real mummified pharaohs and even walking the same route Jesus walked as a child. Yes, I said that right. We literally walked down the same path and were in the same room Jesus Christ was in. We spent an entire day going through all the museums in Cairo, and every day we saw a mosque or an archeological site so old I couldn’t even comprehend how it still existed. 

4. It’s so dusty

Before I went to Egypt, I thought the country would be full of sand, and in certain parts, it is, but in the city, EVERYTHING is dusty. All cars and houses have a layer of dust along with any outdoor furniture. My whole family ended up with the world’s worst case of stuffy noses by the second day. On the bright side, though, they sell almost any type of medicine at drug stores without needing a prescription, so it was pretty easy to get something to help. 

5. The traffic crazy

The city of Cairo has a population of 9.5 million people. For context, New York City’s population is 8.3 million people. Now understandably, that would mean that there would be a lot of cars on the road, but there is physically no way for me to describe to you the horror that is the streets of Cairo until you witness it yourself. In my experience, no one uses the lines on the road. It could be a three-lane road with five or six cars side by side. Turn signals don’t exist because the horn is used as a communication device instead. People will walk out in front of cars or hop out of buses at any moment. You also share the road with horses and donkeys pulling carts.

6. Everything is cheap

I would like to preface this by saying everything is cheap in average American terms. The conversion rate is 0.52 American dollars for every Egyptian pound. For example, my family of four all got their own meal at Mcdonald’s, including an apple pie, and it was $24. Every night we went out to dinner with six people, and not once was the bill over $100. In addition, silver and gold there are abundant, so I bought a genuine silver beetle necklace for $13. It is important to note, though, that this goes out the window when it comes to the mall where everything is imported, so this only applies to local food and markets.

8. Americans are like celebrities

This was the most fun to experience personally, having people look at you funny and children getting so excited to hear you speak English. Children are taught English in school, so when they hear it out in public they may like to test their knowledge. I met a girl who was on a school trip to a museum, and she was so excited to meet an American who spoke English. We chatted, hugged, and took a picture together, and I truly felt like a celebrity. I am not Egyptian but I am part Italian with dark features and a light complexion. I could tell people were studying me to figure out if I was Egyptian or not, having some people ask me if I spoke Arabic, which I embarrassingly had to tell them I did not. 

9. Call to prayer Occurs throughout the day

The first day it happened, I was very confused hearing loudspeakers everywhere start broadcasting someone singing in Arabic, but by the third day, I got used to seeing people stop what they were doing to kneel on the ground for their prayer. The call to prayer happens five times a day for five minutes each, and it is expected for Muslims to leave their worldly matters behind for mandatory prayer. Walking through these historical and breathtaking mosques during a call to prayer was such a defining moment for me. Seeing people so devoted to their beliefs that they take time out of their day to come to a mosque, kneel on the ground and pray was so beautiful to me. Learning about and practicing their traditions inside a mosque, like taking off my shoes and covering my hair, gave me a new outlook on how beautiful the Islam religion is.

BONUS: McDonald’s delivers and it’s delicious

First of all, you may have been wondering or judging the fact that I mentioned going to McDonald’s, but trust me, the taste of Egypt McDonald’s is unmatched compared to America, and it is delicious. Also, they deliver straight to your house. Not through DoorDash or any third party; like, McDonald’s workers deliver all night at no extra charge. Even more impressive, it takes like 15 minutes max for them to bring you your food, so it’s still hot and yummy. 

Overall, Egypt has been my favorite trip I have ever taken, and it will be hard to beat. The history and culture of this place are unlike anything other, and I cannot wait to have the chance to explore other parts of the country.

Krista Corson is a broadcast journalism major at VCU. Her passion of communication takes many forms including a personal YouTube channel, her own crime podcast and a budding modeling career. Krista’s drive to create leads her to the unexpected, which is where she feels most comfortable.