sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Songs to Make you Feel Good About Being Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Yes, it’s that time of year again. The oversized teddy bears have made their way to the front of the grocery store along with heart shaped balloons and boxes of chocolate. If your plans for the 14th include something along the lines of sitting in your bed and watching Stuck in Love on Netflix then please keep reading. I’ve put together a playlist to help you celebrate your single-ness with your closest friends, but this playlist works whenever you want to celebrate how awesome of a woman you are. Let me be clear, we’re not bitter here. Let the couples have their fun this Valentine’s Day but you deserve to have a fun night too. So gather your other single friends, get some junk food and some wine, and blast this playlist. Valentine’s Day is merely a day to celebrate love; so love your friends, love your family, and love yourself. Happy Valentine’s Day!

1. Put Your Records on by Corinne Bailey Rae

We’ll start off slow with this classic I know you all remember. It’s scientifically proven that this song can lift your spirits every time you’re feeling down. So let your hair down, twirl around, and get lost in Corinne Bailey Rae’s lyrics about self-love.

2. Smile by Lily Allen

I know I said we weren’t going to be bitter but I had to throw this one in here. However, this song is much more than just a revenge anthem. It’s about picking yourself up with the help of your friends when you’re at your lowest.

3. Dancing on my Own by Robyn

Although the beginning of this song is pretty bitter it gradually turns into a song that urges you to do exactly what the title says, dance on your own. There’s a process to learning how to be on your own again and once you get there it’s so freeing. This song is the perfect song to help you celebrate reaching that point.

4. I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross

In my opinion this is the classic girl anthem. The new and improved you will be so ready to step out after listening to this song.

5. Independent Women pt. 1 by Destiny’s Child

I remember being six years old listening to this song and knowing it was of great importance. I had no idea what it was about or why I enjoyed it so much but now that I am indeed an independent woman I have come to fully realize its significance in every woman’s life.

6. Feeling Myself by Nicki Minaj and Beyonce

There’s no better song about self-love than this one. I want to take the time to thank Nicki Minaj and Beyonce for somehow making a song that makes women everywhere more confident in less than four minutes.

7. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

This song is a great reminder that you have your whole life ahead of you. You are going to do great things and you can do those great things on your own.

8. Just a Girl by No Doubt

This song completely bashes stereotypes about women and given Gwen Stefani’s delivery of these lyrics, it becomes the most cathartic three minutes and twenty-six seconds imaginable.

9. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette

The 90’s were a thriving time for single girl songs and we have Alanis Morissette to thank for this major contribution. Every good girl power playlist needs at least one angry girl anthem and You Oughta Know is THE angry girl anthem. 

10. Stronger by Britney Spears

This song is a reminder that you’re just as strong, if not stronger, on your own as you are with someone else. I recommend singing this song as loud as you can. Shout out to Britney Spears for helping us realize the magnitude of our strength.

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!