10 Signs You’re the Youngest in a Big Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Being the youngest in a big family is like riding on a rollercoaster you did not ask to be on; but since you’re on it, you may as well enjoy the ride. While every family has its own dynamic, there are some universal truths that only the youngest of a big family will understand.

1)      You share everything

In a big family, anything goes. Whether its clothes, food, books or even a room, you share everything with your siblings (usually whether you want to or not). As a result of this mentality, you have gotten really good at inhaling your food and labeling your stuff. You also have probably annoyed more than one of your friends because you don’t have any concept of possession.

2)      Hand-me-downs

Speaking of sharing, it is most likely that at least half of your wardrobe was (and maybe still is) your older siblings’ clothes. Because why get a new plaid shirt when you have three brothers whose closets you can raid?

3)      No leftovers

Leftover food is a rare and beautiful thing that usually only happens after Thanksgiving. And even if there are leftovers, it’s a hit or miss on if you will get any. By now, you are a pro at calling dibs and hiding the last piece of pie in the back of the fridge behind the asparagus. It is possible that many feuds and revolutions can be traced back to someone stealing the last drumstick you specifically had dibs on.

4)      You get away with almost everything

Your parents have already tried the 10 p.m. curfew thing on your older siblings and as you all grew older, they are way more laid back. Few things are more fun than seeing the looks of outrage on your older brothers and sisters’ faces when you listen to inappropriate music or get home at 1 a.m. from an R rated movie. You have also had to listen to countless “when I was your age” speeches from your oldest siblings, but it is worth it.

5)      There are no more “firsts”

Anything you have to go through, your siblings have already done. Your parents are already pros at apartment applications and first boyfriends or girlfriends. You were probably both relieved and a little offended when they dropped you off at college without shedding a tear. However, while you may miss out on a teary drop off, your parents have had decades to fine-tune their embarrassment skills.

6)      Your family has no concept of privacy

Some of your friends probably hid their first boyfriends from their parents, or had a detailed diary but you did not have that luxury. When your older siblings go to the same school as you or when you share a room with your sister, forget about having a private life. You know everything about their life and they know everything about yours. This is part of what makes college such a magical place. Sure, you share a room with a roommate, but they probably won’t use Tuesday’s diary entry against you when in trouble with your parents.

7)      Does your mom really know your name?

“Alex! No… Nicole! Whoever you are!!” You have to stand there patiently while your mom cycles through the whole family before getting to you. Chances are, you have probably even been called by the dog’s name; bonus points if a random family friend gets thrown in there.

8)      Riding shotgun is a privilege

Usually the oldest gets immediate dibs on riding in the passenger seat, but sometimes your mom or dad may validate your cry of “I CALL SHOTGUN,” especially if you won the race to the car. The control of air conditioning and radio that comes with the privilege of riding shotgun creates major gloating for the duration of the car ride.

9)      Outsiders get confused

You cannot just say “my brother” or “my sister” because there are multiple options to choose from. You know someone is really your friend if they know all of your older siblings names because, let’s be honest, sometimes even you forget which one you are talking about.

10)  You love them to death

Even if they drive you crazy, your older sibs are your role models, your rocks in a crisis, and some of your best friends. They raised you, and without them you would be totally different. You find yourself pitying your friends who are from small families or, even worse, are only children. You might treasure leftovers but you love your family even more. 

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!