10 Reasons to Watch a Series of Unfortunate Events Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In case you missed it, Netflix adapted cult classic children’s series “A Series of Unfortunate Events” by Lemony Snicket. The darkly funny, self-aware series was greeted with skepticism upon its announcement, for so many avid readers were unsure of how the impeccably humorous series could possibly be adapted for television. The series is, in my humble opinion, one of the best things on Netflix at the moment and holds a 99.9 percent accuracy to the books, something not even “Harry Potter” could accomplish. Here’s 10 reasons why you should stop what you’re doing and watch this series at this moment (well, after you read this of course). 

1. Three words: Neil. Patrick. Harris.

Like, really. I don’t think I need to say any more — if you’re going to watch it for anything, watch it for NPH’s eyebrow.

2. …as well as every other famous actor that appears.

Patrick Warburton, Joan Cusack, Will Arnett and Cobie Smulders, just to name a few.

3. Intersectionality!

Though Snicket never expressed the races of the characters, the 2004 film adaptation cast most of the actors as white. The 2017 TV show reflects the diversity of the audience watching it, to which I give them a standing O. 

4. Violet Baudelaire’s badass outfits in every episode. 

Not only is she a genius, the caretaker of her siblings AND drop-dead gorgeous, she can outwit Count Olaf wearing the cutest sweater-dress ensembles the world has ever seen. She should run a fashion blog. 

5. NPH sings. Need I say more?

*Hums “look away, looooooook awayyyyyyy” under my breath until the next episodes are released*

6. Incredible accuracy to the books.

Except for one or two tiny details, the series is almost identical to the books. It’s kind of creepy, actually.

7. Self-sufficient, smart kids.

After reading the series cover to cover (x12), I found myself striving to have the same intelligence and bravery as Violet, Klaus and Sunny combined. Though I would never wish to ever be in the scenarios they find themselves in, they always manage to come out on top. They provide role models for kids, and show everyone how to make the best out of what looks like the worst possible scenario. 

8. A children’s show that’s suitable for adults.

The book series was a children’s book series that captivated adult audiences everywhere, and the television series manages to create the same magical blend that appeals to both children and adults. 

9. Three letters.

If you’ve read the series, you’ll see about a dozen easter eggs of these three letters. If you haven’t, you’ll learn in due time. 

10. THE TWIST.

The twist ending caused my jaw to hit the floor and rewind the episode several times to be sure I had seen the twist right. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you get there. Bravo, Netflix. Bravo.

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 67, 8, 9, 10

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!