10 Reactions Filipinos Had After Miss Universe 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Last night, Pia Wurtzbach was crowned Miss Universe 2015, but not until after an awkward turn of events when the host, Steve Harvey, announced the wrong winner. Here’s what it was like to watch the pageant as Filipino American.

1.      We’re always so close!

2.      It’s okay, first runner up! Go Philippines!

3.      Wait, what.

4.      Wait.

5.      WHAT?

6.      MOM STOP SCREAMING I’M TRYING TO HEAR.

7.      WE WON WE WON WE WON! MABUHAY ANG PILIPINO!

8.      Wait now this is awkward.

9.      I don’t know whether to be proud or sorry…

10.  I guess I’m Philippian. 

All jokes aside, the turn of events for the 2015 Miss Universe pageant were awkward and uncomfortable for all parties. Each and every single one of the women who competed last night were capable and deserving candidates to wear the Miss Universe 2015 crown. As theories, issues, and controversies continue to arise, we must also rise above what has happened and recognize the tendencies of humans to be just that and to make mistakes. Perhaps as this year draws to a close, we may take this message to heart and try be more open-minded, forgiving and better able to more forward in the new year. After all, has anyone asked the other members of the universe how they feel about our new representative? The other planets and galaxies aren’t even represented in Miss Universe! 

Congratulations to our dazzling pearl from the Pearl of the Orient, Pia Wurtzbach. You have an amazing year in store for you, and we love and support you! 

21 || VBVA || Psychology || FACT@VCUAngie Ellorin is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying Psychology and eventually hopes to pursue a masters in Education. In her free time, Angie enjoy taking naps, watching Gossip Girl, and online shopping. She is the adopted mother of a beautiful African elephant named Elliot. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is meeting and being inspired by all the other empowering young women. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!