10 Events Around Richmond to Fulfill Your Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As Halloween quickly approaches, everyone is starting to get into the holiday mood and wanting to fulfill their need for some Halloween scares and spooks. This Halloween season, get ready to put these local events on your calendar. From Harry Potter themed cupcakes to haunted tours, you’ll find something on this list to satisfy your Halloween vibes. There’s so much going on in Richmond and it’s easy to miss out on some of the coolest events going on in town. Check out this list, you may just have to grab some friends and get into the Halloween spirit. 

1. Dead Rock Star Karaoke & Contest: Check out Sticky Rice on Halloween from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. for some Tuesday night karaoke! The theme is dead rock stars, so dress up as one of your favorite artists. There will be secret judges rating costumes and performances. The winner will receive a $100 gift card to Sticky Rice.

2. Halloween Murder Mystery: If you want to eat a yummy Italian dinner and have some Halloween fun, Maggiano’s Little Italy at Shortpump is having a murder mystery theatre. Tickets are $70 but they are all inclusive of the show and dinner. You and your friends will solve a murder mystery at your table as a team. The doors open at 6:25 p.m. for seating and the show begins at 7 p.m. Check out the tickets and the menu here.

3. 13th Annual Richmond Zombie Walk: On Saturday, Oct. 28 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., check out the Richmond Zombie Walk benefitting the American Cancer Society. This event allows humans to act like zombies for a day. It’s an organized public zombie gathering that walks right through Carytown. You can participate in the walk or simply observe them limping across town. For meeting spots, route information and rules click here.

4. Cary Potter 2017: Love Harry Potter? Well you’re going to want to head over to Carytown Cupcakes and try their Potter-themed cupcakes. Starting Oct. 23 until Nov. 5, the shop will be transformed into a wizarding fantasy world. They’ll have 12 different specialty cupcakes to choose from like Butterbeer and Dementor’s Kiss. Click here for more information about the cupcakes and bonus Harry Potter themed events going on.

5. Godfrey’s Annual Halloween Bash: On Saturday Oct. 28 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Godfrey’s is having a nightmare alley themed Halloween bash. There’s no cover charge before 11 p.m., but it’s five dollars after. If you like drag or just want to check it out, take some friends and enjoy the costume contest. The winner gets $200 cash. They’ll have an outdoor drag show, music, giveaways and more.

6. Den of Fear Haunted House: Starting Oct. 20 until Oct. 29, you can visit a haunted house just two miles away from VCU’s campus at Dogtown Dance Theatre. It’s $15 per person. Check out the times and dates for the event here.

7. Haunted Capitol Hill Tour: On Oct. 28 from 9 – 10:30 p.m., Haunts of Richmond is giving people a tour of the hill and sharing Richmond’s best known ghost stories. Find more information here. Tickets are $14.   

8. Creepy Hollow Scream Park: Located at 14437 Stone Horse Creek Road, Glen Allen, VA 23059, This attraction takes you into the depths of Creepy Hollow where you’ll experience first-hand the horrors of Dr. Ulysses S. Farrington’s experiments. You will witness what has become of those not fortunate enough to escape from Farrington’s evil grasp. The whole park is made up of three attractions including Scream Forest, Staple’s Mill and Axl’s Fun House. They’re open Fridays and Saturdays 7:30-11 p.m. and Thursdays, Sundays and Halloween from 7:30-11 p.m. It’s $24 for the combination of all three attractions, but there’s a $2 off coupon on their website!

9. Blood Lake Haunted Trail: Each year around Halloween, Windy Hill Sports Complex turns into a place where nightmares are formed in their Heart of Darkness Haunted Trail. Then their fears are put to rest in the Z-Alamo Zombie Airsoft experience, where guests can shoot zombie actors who are playing the part of bloodthirsty zombies, attempting to overrun humanity’s last stand. They’re open Fridays and Saturdays from 7:30-11 p.m.

10. Eerie Nights Ghost Tour: Eerie Nights is a theatrical story telling experience where guides in character, special effects make-up and costumes lead groups to several historic and haunted sites around Richmond. At each of the sites, they will tell different tales of the history and paranormal activity associated with the unique locations. Ticket booth opens at 7:15 p.m. and tours are from 8-10 p.m.

Gather your squad and have a “scare-castic” Halloween in RVA. Being scared together is a true bonding experience! 

Photo Credits: 1234567

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!