Yes, You Are A Badass: A Review of Jen Sincero’s Latest Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

The most recent of my free-read books includes the lightly classified self-help book, You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero. As a quote junky and lover of all things that have to do with positivity, I grabbed this off the shelves hoping for a quick and entertaining read. I saw this as a reminder that would give me the push to leave my world of letting my perceptions and self-limiting beliefs affect my actions and what I actually want to do.

“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” – Kurt Cobain

I know many people think books such as these are a hoax; they are not into the mindset that if you would only change your beliefs and attitudes you could change your life. However, the tips on meditation and how to stay in the present are definitely take aways from this quick read. If you feel that gratitude and forgiveness are there to help you out to life a more awesome life, you may get a little more out of it! Chapter titles such as “Your Brain is Your Bitch” and “Fear is for Suckers” will keep you entertained.

If you have read the mega-New York Times bestseller The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, you may be disappointed at this more superficial and less spiritual book – however, in its bluntness and one-liners, this book is also one of a kind. It is a straightforward and no nonsense read, which may provide the inspiration you need to take a courageous step in your day to day life. If anything, I was happy to have a friendly reminder to be myself, because yes, I am a badass.