Women’s Month Spotlight: Hannah Bruns & Kayla Prowell 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

The winners of the Vanderbilt Student Government (VSG) 2021-2022 presidential and vice presidential race are Hannah Bruns (she/her/hers) and her running mate Kayla Prowell (she/her/hers). They were the only official campaign in the race and received 1660, or 76.67%, of the 2165 student votes. Bruns and Prowell make history as the first all-Black and all-female ticket to attain office and make Vanderbilt University the highest ranking school in the nation to ever have two Black women as president and vice president. 

Bruns and Prowell ran on a platform titled “It’s Our Time” which centers around uplifting the voices and concerns of the student body.

“We want to make sure that everyone has a seat at the table when it comes to making decisions with administration.” – Hannah and Kayla

The ticket aims to tackle five main issues: 

Inclusivity

Citing Vanderbilt’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Bruns and Prowell are advocating for redistributing 10% of the VSG surplus at the end of the academic year back to the study body, renaming halls on-campus that are named after slave owners and white supremacists, and the inclusion of at least one cultural studies class as a graduation requirement. 

Sustainability

This ticket is calling for a greener Vanderbilt. Their platform includes continuing to advocate for fossil fuel divestment, supporting DivestVU, Dores Divest, and Fossil Free SEC, the creation of a year-round thrift shop, the development of a first-year sustainability module, and the inclusion of composting bins in residential buildings. 

Safety

Mental and physical safety matter to Bruns and Prowell. That is why they are committed to working with the UCC to create a more diverse and culturally competent staff, supporting increased accessibility of the UCC to Next Steps Students, pushing for more exercise and wellness-oriented classes at the Recreation Center, requiring that all students complete bystander-intervention training in a module format, and increasing visibility across campus through more and brighter light bulbs. 

Community Collaboration

Bruns and Prowell are calling for increased community relationships. They aim to create cross-organization collaboration programs, partner with student governments at nearby universities to develop stronger university service and activism in Nashville, and host more community bonding events between VSG and the entire campus community. 

Academic Support

This ticket is emphasizing academic growth and is supporting student organizations in creating new majors/minors and study centers, centering student voices in faculty selection decisions, expanding career advising beyond pre-professional and consulting tracks, and continuing to develop the VSG Universal Test Bank.

“It’s officially our time!” reads their Instagram. “We are so excited to work hard to uplift your voices as Student Body President and Vice President!”

Chioma Chukwuma

Vanderbilt '23

My name is Chioma and I am a Political Science major at Vanderbilt University! When I'm not working on academics, you can find me reading a fantasy novel, writing a story, or scrolling through Twitter.
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)