What To Do When Your Friend Comes Out as Transgendered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Having a friend come out as transgender can be a difficult change. You may not understand what’s an appropriate questions verses an inappropriate one. All your friend needs to know is that you support him or her. Here are some basic guidelines for how to make the transition easier. 

Transgender is when a person does not feel like he or she was born in the correct gender. This includes born males who consider themselves heterosexual women or born females who consider themselves heterosexual men. 

The hardest part of having a friend transition is changing pronouns, but it’s really important. Out of all the questions you may ask, “What pronoun would you like to be called?” is the most acceptable one! By asking, it shows you respect them. If you are ever unsure of what question might be inappropriate, asking about pronouns is always okay. 

If you have more questions and you’re close to your friend, then ask him or her what is an acceptable question. He or she can tell you as much or as little as they like but don’t push it.

If your friend comes out to you as transgender, don’t respond with, “I always knew it!” Coming out can be a big deal, even if it seemed obvious. 

Be there for your friend. Nothing has to change. You guys can keep eating cookie dough on the couch together and watching bad tv. Keep being a support system for them.
Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.