Volunteer of the Month: Martin Plumlee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Contact: Megan McInnis

Email: Megan@DoingGood.tv

Call or text: 615-934-5087

Website: www.DoingGood.tv

Making a Better Nation

By: Kingsley East

Nashville, TN, December 20: “There are 165 hours in a week. How do you use those hours to make your little piece of the world better?” Martin Plumlee works every day to give his time and talents to help his family, community, and country. Martin attended West Point for college and went on to serve as an officer in the army. Now, he continues to wear the uniforms as a part of Nashville’s Army Reserve. Martin is passionate about serving the military and helping veterans as they transition from combat into civilian life. Therefore, Martin works on the board of directors for an organization called REBOOT Combat Recovery and serves with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). Through these non-profits, Martin gets to be a part of veterans’ recoveries and lives after serving the nation.

Additionally, Martin is passionate about economic empowerment, and he hopes to provide people with opportunities that lead to a successful life. Therefore, he is a part of Habitat for Humanity’s board of directors and their development committee. Martin helps organize and fundraise for Habitat to build houses for underprivileged families. By serving with Habitat and continuing to help the military, Martin uses his gifts to give back to others. Martin feels blessed by his health, family life, and business work; therefore, he aims to use his circumstances to help others. He said, “It is my sincerest belief that if more citizens would give back and pour their time and resources into their local communities, the nation would be better.”

Nashville’s Volunteer of the Month is a program of Doing Good, a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization which educates and inspires people by celebrating the real stories of real people who volunteer. For additional information about Martin, Doing Good, or other volunteers, visit the website www.DoingGood.tv or @DoingGoodTV on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or YouTube.

#####

Doing Good is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that provides marketing and public relations tools, resources, and opportunities to nonprofit and government agencies to celebrate their volunteers. www.DoingGood.tv

Allison Plattsmier (formerly Quintanilla) is a Nashville native who grew up with the nickname Quesadilla and was asked, almost on a daily basis, how someone who is Hispanic could be THAT pale. Allison is quite the workaholic but don’t worry, she’s recently narrowed down her number of jobs from 7 to 4….progress is progress. When she isn’t working, she is spending time with her friends or hanging at home with her husband, Kris, and her two cats Sheena and Jacinda. She is an Escape Game fanatic and has successfully broken out of every Escape Game the Escape Game Nashville has to offer (come at me bro). She has a borderline unhealthy obsession with trivia and has seen every chick flick you can imagine. A student in Vanderbilt's Community Development and Action program, Allison has a passion for service and bringing people together for a common purpose.
Niina Kurki

Vanderbilt