Trends from NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Fashion Week took over New York from February 6th to the 13th, and as usual, there were numerous trends (both good and bad) that emerged for the upcoming seasons. The most popular and wearable trends were mixed hemlines, feathers, writing, shearling, and liquid liner. Below, you’ll find some runway looks, along with items you can incorporate into your own wardrobe. Would you wear any of these off the runway? Let us know in the comment section! 

Mixed Hemlines—Designers such as Zimmermann showed hemlines that were somewhat ruffled and with different lengths. Other hemlines trends that appeared were the super short and the tea length skirt. Pictured are some high-low hemline dresses from the Zimmermann collection and an everyday option from Anthropologie.

Feathers—The looks got a little “wild” at the Nicole Miller and Kate Spade shows with feather accents. Kate Spade and Free People offer pieces that integrate feathers into your day-to-day style.

Words—Clothing with writing on it was also very popular on the runway. Rag and Bone, Christopher Kane, Alexander Wang, and Dior all labeled their clothing for everyone to see. Designer Brian Lichtenberg has many shirts, sweatshirts, and hats that have become quite popular in Hollywood.

Shearling—Shearling was seen all over Fashion Week this year. Along with being a great option to stay warm, shearling can be very fashionable. Reed Krakoff used shearling in his show, but Burberry and C&C California offer shearling coats and vests that are more appropriate for everyday wear.

Cat-eye Liner—Always a favorite of mine, cat-eye liner is very popular right meow. Tracy Reese’s models sported the winged liner purrfectly on the catwalk. To create your own cat-eye look, Urban Decay’s liquid and pencil liners do a great job and come in a wide range of colors.

Liz Muller

Vanderbilt

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.