Start Your Day the Healthy Way with Hot Lemon Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

The number of new fad diets and cleanses perpetuated through the media can be extremely overwhelming, and it is a challenge trying to figure out if they even work/are safe. The truth is that the majority of these diets are not based on real scientific research and can possibly be dangerous to the body. This is why I am always skeptical when I hear about fad diets. I am a firm believer in the idea that you should transform your body through healthy lifestyle changes and not with extreme weight loss, which is often what these diets tend to entail. By gradually altering what you eat and incorporating an exercise regime into your life, you can really make a positive difference to your body.

As busy college students, we often don’t have the time or energy to think about what we eat or drink before we rush to our morning classes. The reality is that how you start your day is extremely important, and if you drink a giant cup of coffee before heading out the door, then you may not be giving your brain or body the optimum nutrition to start your day. I am not suggesting that you cook yourself an elaborate breakfast before class, but I challenge you to reconsider drinking coffee when you wake up, and instead, start your day with a healthy drink of warm water and lemon.

A glass of lemon and water contains less than twenty-five calories, and it is a rich source of nutrients such as calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and pectin fiber. Because lemons contain high levels of vitamin C, they are extremely beneficial when trying to ward off the common cold and help to boost your immune system. They also encourage your body to flush out toxins that have accumulated, and lemons aid in digestion. Lastly, lemon water is amazing for the skin, as it clears blemishes and helps to decrease wrinkles.

If you are particularly averse to the taste of lemon and find it too sour, then I suggest you add some stevia or another natural sweetener. This will make it more enjoyable, and you will find it easier adjusting to the new drink. Most people like to squeeze half a lemon into eight ounces of water, but you could start with quarter of a lemon and then gradually build your way up.

The benefits of drinking warm water and lemon juice are numerous, and that is why I highly recommend you start incorporating this drink into your morning routine. I am not saying that you have to stop drinking coffee altogether; I would just drink your coffee after you have done the lemon and water rather than before. Drinking lemon water is a great way to start the day, and trust me, once you start noticing the benefits, you won’t want to stop!