Rent the Runway’s Best Choices for Your Next Formal Event!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Rent the Runway is an online program that allows customers to rent designer dresses for 90% off retail price! All you have to do is sign up for a free membership and decide which dresses you would love to wear. Rent the Runway has dresses for every occasion, from birthday parties to wedding receptions to sorority rush. You can even rent a cute accessory to create the perfect outfit. Each customer gets four days with the rented dress and returns it in the mail. This program is perfect for temporarily updating your wardrobe and making stylish first impressions. I love using this site for my black tie events since I get such cheap, beautiful gowns!

Most dresses show actual customer reviews that are very helpful. It can have either a picture of what the dress looks like in person or it may have the previous customer’s measurements so that you can decide which size would fit best. There are also personal stylists you can call that will recommend how a dress will fit, what accessories will look best, or even what undergarments you should use! 

Here are a few dresses/accessories on the website that I love: 

Badgley Mischka Faye Chiffon Gown for $125 (retail $850)

Ciner Antique Cascading Crystal Earring for $20 (retail $150) 

David Meister Gold Lela Lace Dress for $100 (retail $575)

Yumi Kim By the Lily
Pond Dress for $40 (retail $248) 

Opening Ceremony Cat Call Dress for $75 (retail $350) 

Luckily, Rent the Runway has been expanding to college campuses across the nation and Vanderbilt University has a team! Keep an eye out for the girls giving away discount codes or hosting trunk shows on campus. If you or your friends are interesting in joining the team, contact Emily Frost at emily.m.frost@vanderbilt.edu for more information!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!