Paige Clark: Connecting Dores through Vanderbilt Diversity Career Alliance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Recent Vanderbilt transfer students may recognize her as their ConnectDores mentor, but Paige Clark also is taking on a new role as the Vice President of Vanderbilt Diversity in Careers Alliance (VDCA). Unlike most upperclassmen, Paige decided in her senior year that she would not only take on the role of VP, but also tackle the strenuous process of getting VDCA approved as an official Vanderbilt student organization.

VDCA is a pre-professional organization that provides career aid and assistance to students of diverse backgrounds. Although new to the list of student organizations, VDCA kicked off their first official meeting a week ago under the leadership of President, Max Chen, and of course, Paige herself.

“[We] saw a need on Vanderbilt’s campus for an organization that would give students a broad view of the varying fields of business,” Paige explained. “On campus there are niche business organizations, so we started a club that would encompass the various industries that make up the business world.”

Ensuring that VDCA was open to diverse groups of people was a key element for the executive board members. Paige notes that VDCA’s value of diversity is inclusive of all minority groups, whether they’re defined sexually, academically, racially, or by gender. VDCA looks to provide these minority groups with the tools and insights on how to break into an industry that lacks minority representation.

“We do this by working directly with Vanderbilt’s Center for Student Professional Development and companies such as Caterpillar Financial, Morgan Stanley, and Jefferies to aid each student in developing his/her resume, cover letter, and overall job searching process,” said Paige.

As the Vice President of VDCA, Paige manages other executive roles in the organization and provides them with whatever support they need. Not only does she plan events with companies, but she also ensures that the club members are having their needs met by acting as the member liaison.

“Throughout [my Vanderbilt] career, I never pursued something I was seriously passionate about. I spent so much time prepping for a financial future, that I never had time to do something that makes a difference or pursue something for which I feel there is a need,” said Paige.

Helping manage a brand new club combined with the stress of senior year makes it evident why Paige is this week’s Campus Celebrity. If you’re interested in learning more about VDCA and everything the organization has to offer, be sure to attend their next meeting on September 19, in Buttrick 309 at 7 pm.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.