The Newest Hair Coloring Trend for Collegiettes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As your highlights start to grow out and the summer nears its end, you may be wondering what to do with your hair. The natural thing to do would be to get more highlights, but if you are adventurous and are willing to try something new, then opt for Balayage. Balayage is a hair coloring technique that originated in Paris, and it
has only become popular in the United States within the last ten years. Instead of having one solid block of color from root to tip,
 balayage purposefully leave the roots darker and the tips lighter. Also, color is applied without the use of foils, meaning that it is basically being “painted” on. This is done in order to leave your hair looking naturally blonde rather than overly dyed
Now you may be wondering why you would try balayge instead of doing traditional highlights. Well, the first thing that may change your mind is that the most highly paid model, Gisele Bundchen, has been getting her hair colored like this for years. Not only does Gisele get balayage, but so do many other famous models and celebrities. Another perk of getting balayage is that you don’t have to go to the salon as often. When your roots start to grow out, it isn’t as obvious, so this means that you can wait over three months before your next
trip. Not only does that save your hair from the damaging effects of bleach, but it also leaves a little extra spending money in your pocket. Plus, it’s the only highlighting technique that works on girls with short hair, so if you just recently chopped off your locks and are missing your highlights, get balayage! 
Balayage is definitely not for everyone, but for those of you who are looking for something new, try this technique and get ready for the compliments to start rolling in. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.