This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Studying abroad is an exciting venture. Regardless of where you go, you will explore many new places, learn about a new culture, and grow your independence – I guarantee it. But if you’re lucky, you may even find love. If you’re in this boat, first of all, congrats! Finding someone you can connect with on this level is something worth recognizing and celebrating, especially while in a completely unfamiliar place. However, relationships while abroad can be a difficult situation to navigate. Here are some things you should consider if you do find love during exchange. 

Confront reality

It feels amazing to be lost in your feelings once you find that special person, but at one point you need to be realistic. Your study abroad trip is temporary; at some point you will need to separate, assuming that they are from another country or even a different area in your country. If you two begin dating, it won’t be possible to be together long-term, and most likely you will need to try a long-distance relationship. 

Know what you want

After confronting reality, you need to decide what you want out of a relationship. Are you okay with not being around this person often? Is a long-distance relationship what you want? Are you okay with ending things once exchange ends? These are things you should consider. You also need to keep the other person in the picture. Have open conversations about what you two expect out of each other, and make sure you are on the same page. Make concrete plans for the future. 

Learn new things 

If you meet someone while abroad, most likely they will be from another country and culture. By spending time with them, you can learn remarkably a lot about the diversity of people, and that is incredibly rewarding in and of itself. Even if they live in the same country as you, there’s still so much to reap from meeting a new person. Take this time to broaden your worldview and perspectives. 

Make the best of your time

Knowing that abroad isn’t forever, you should take advantage of every moment you have. Abroad is short and sweet, so time will fly by. In your entire undergraduate career, you will probably be the most unrestrained during your time abroad, so go out and explore, travel, eat, and enjoy life together when you still can. Try your best to stay off your phone and live in the moment.

Have faith and relax

If you are worried that things won’t pan out the way you envision, remember you are still young and if things don’t work out, it’s okay. There will be more opportunities, and perhaps even better ones, in the future. Don’t get caught up in thinking about what could happen and what you want to happen; focus on and cherish what you currently have. At the end of the day, whatever is meant to happen will happen, so just relax. 

Be thankful

Wherever your abroad romance ends up, whether that be in a long-distance relationship, marriage (it happens!) or as a good memory, be thankful for what happened. You were able to find a special connection with someone from across the world, you crossed paths with each other and left each other’s lives a little better. Regardless of whether you remain in each other’s life or not, you had an unforgettable experience and that is something to be grateful for. 

Eryn Lin

Vanderbilt '21

Economics major, Business and Chinese Culture & Language minor "People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)