jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Most Binge-Worthy Food Network Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

After an exhausting day of learning times tables in elementary school, most kids hop off the bus and unwind with a quick snack and their favorite cartoon. I would run to the kitchen, flip on the Food Network and cook along with whatever Rachel Ray was having. This is where my love for the Food Network began. To this day it continues to flourish, as I’d rather binge Chopped than the newest Netflix series anyday. These are my favorite Food Network shows that I think everyone needs to watch.

Chopped

There is shear intensity from the minuet you hear, the notable phrase “chefs, open your baskets,” all the way until when the losing dessert is revealed on the chopping block. It is enough to keep anyone on the edge of their seat. Everytime I see a chef turn turn a basket of random foods, like kumquats, duck breast, pine nuts, greek yogurt and applesauce, into a decadent meal in thirty minutes, I am left in awe. The only thing more impressive than this is watching 9-14 year olds do it on Chopped JR.

Guy’s Grocery Games

Who doesn’t love Guy Fieri and his frosted tips??? But if he is not reason enough to tune in, it’s amazing to watch the pure creativity that emerges from chefs when they are tasked with shopping and preparing delicious meals in 30 minutes. AND with restrictions like all the ingredients must start with the letter ‘K’, or everything must be purple, or only having 10 dollars to shop.

Baking Championship

Whether it be the Spring, Holiday or Kids Baking Championship, watching chefs make delicious treats never fails to make my mouth water, leaving me craving something sweet. The beautiful, intricate details and decorations that go into these desserts is inspiring, considering I can’t even write ‘Happy Birthday’ on a cake legibly. What I would do to be a judge on one of these shows!

The Great Food Truck Race

All the craze in cities around America is Food Trucks. I thought cooking in my small dorm kitchen was tough, but can you imagine serving hundreds of people out of essentially a 150 square feet box? That is what the contestants on this show are faced with when they are handed the keys to a food truck for the first time. (Vinny from Jersey Shore is a season 7 contestant if you want an idea of where to start).

30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray

This may be an oldie, but it’s still a goodie. Rachel makes preparing put together meals so easy that anyone can do it. Cooking a tasty and nutritious meal in only 30 minutes is definity a solid alternative to ordering take out. It was just announced that starting April 1, 30 Minute Meals is returning to the Food Network with 30 new episodes.

Ace of Cakes

Before there was Buddy Valastro, Duff Goldman was the king of cakes. At his bakery, Charm City Cakes, Duff and his team build larger than life cakes for birthdays, weddings or other special events making customers’ dreams come true. My favorite one of their designs has to be when they baked a replica of the entire Wizarding World of Harry Potter for its movie premier.

Diners, Drive-in and Dives

Yes, more Guy Fieri because we can never get enough. Watching Guy travel around America in his red convertible in search of the most unique restaurants in every state makes me want to go on a road trip, or at least a walk to the fridge.

Cupcake Wars

Who knew baking could be so dramatic?? Between the whimsical designs of the cupcakes themselves, and the bickering between teammates over who dyed the frosting a blush instead of a ballet slipper pink, there is never a dull moment. People usually think of cupcakes as either vanilla or chocolate, maybe red velvet if they are feeling fancy. The extensive, unique flavor combinations that contestants think of, such as maple cupcakes with cherry compote and goat cheese frosting, never fails to blow my mind. I also want to know – what do they do with the hundreds cupcakes after each episode? I’m definitely open to a donation!

Worst Cooks in America

After watching hours of super talented and creative chefs and bakers, it’s nice to see people who may be even worse at cooking than I am.

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."