This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Let’s set the scene: you’ve stayed up practically all night either studying, watching movies, and eating, or a combination of all three. When you look at the clock, you’ve only got a few hours before you’re supposed to be awake to start class. What do you do? You rest your eyes for a few minutes, and when you wake up, you only have ten minutes before class is supposed to start. You know that getting anything to eat will take up class time you can’t afford to miss. So you hastily throw on something and try to be an active member of society.

This is your first L of the day.

So now, you’re in class praying that no one hears your stomach, but also trying to convince your teacher that you’re engaged in class and not playing fast and loose with your sleep schedule. You already know this day is shot because you always drink coffee in the morning, and deviating from that schedule will just make you more of the goblin that you are sitting in class.

Let’s hop aboard this struggle bus.

So you’re in class and you’re trying to blink like a regular person, and the teacher’s voice is starting to sound like something out of Charlie Brown, and sis, you are trying hard not to fall asleep. Just in class straight ?️oolin. And when you jump suddenly in your seat (definitely not asleep), and can feel that headache creeping up, you just want to clock out early. Because this is an advanced form of tiredness. This is Exhaustion™️. This is Tired+Premium . This is Sleepy Deluxe.

But remember that headache, right? (Second L of the day.)

Okay, considering that this is college, you’re probably used to living dangerously when you’ve got that cup of coffee to watch your back. So why were you on the struggle bus? You didn’t drink any coffee.

So surprise! You’re going through a mild caffeine withdrawal. The symptoms of caffeine withdrawal start within a few hours of not having your daily cup of coffee. Trust and believe, it sucks, and can manifest itself in different ways. However, if you’re suffering and you don’t want to quit caffeine, you might want to read up on some of the symptoms so you can better prepare yourself.

Okay! So you made it out of class! Have a nice day!

A cryptid with lots to say about lots of things. An English major with no sense of self-preservation. 꼬맹이.
Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."