Meet Singing Superstar Sarah Lockwood Barr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Sarah is currently a senior at Vanderbilt who is breaking into the music business. Under the name Lockwood Barr she already has released her first CD “The 25th Hour” (which is incredible) and is available on itunes. She recently performed at Tin Roof where she was fantastic! You may have seen her host at Spotlight or at homecoming as one of the Top 10 Most Outstanding Seniors. Here are a few questions to get to know Sarah better:

When and where did you start performing?

When I first got to Vanderbilt, I only played at events on campus.  While I had grown up singing and performing in plays and choirs, it felt different to get up and play original works in front of unknown audiences.  There was definitely an adjustment period for me.

It wasn’t until the summer between my sophomore and junior year that I started branching out.  I lived in my sorority house on campus that summer, and decided to spread my wings.  My first gigs were open mic nights at smaller venues close to campus venues like Rebar on Division.  I worked my way up to different writers nights downtown and at the Nashville Palace.  A few weeks ago, played my album release show at the Tin Roof on Demonbreun.

How did you first start getting your name out there in order to get gigs?

I performed anywhere I could get a mic!  It started with open mic nights, and then I would meet someone who booked singers at a hotel downtown, where I would meet another booking agent.  It all just snowballed.

Do you have another gig coming up?

I’m working on putting together a few more shows at the Tin Roof before classes end, but I have to make sure it works with passing class!  I’m also about to release my first music video for the song “Wake Me Up.”

What is your favorite part about performing?

I can say things in my music that I can’t speak in normal conversation.  When I’m on stage, I just let go.  I’m free.

How many instruments can you play and which is your favorite?

Three (four if you include voice): piano, guitar, vocal.  I can’t name a favorite; it really depends on the day.  The past few months, I have been obsessed with my banjo.  I will sit on my bed and play it for hours, and I’m constantly looking for new ways to use it in my music.  However, this past week, I’ve been feeling the need to pour my soul into the piano keys.

What song are you most proud of?

Summer Rain—it’s one of the first songs I wrote.  I started writing sophomore year of high school, put it in a drawer for two years, and finished during my first semester at Vanderbilt.  It is the story of my childhood, and I’m in love with the arrangement that somehow created itself in the studio.

Has being at Vanderbilt helped your music career at all?

Absolutely.  I’ve had the best of both worlds.  Vanderbilt has been a typical college career with midterms, existential life crises, wonderful roommates, and music row right next to me along the way.  I have been able to grow and mature with the help of world-class musicians who inspire and challenge my craft.  I want to write music that many different people can understand and connect with, and feel like the life I’ve lived at Vanderbilt has allowed me to do that.  My life here is blissfully normal.

What is your major?

Child Studies with a Minor in Spanish

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

Here in Nashville, making a living in the music industry.

If you weren’t singing, what career would you want?

I would go into counseling or education policy.

As a senior, what has been your favorite memory at Vanderbilt?

The weekend of the final home football game, Fall 2011.  That Friday, I stayed up all night for the Relay for Life.   When Relay finished, I took a short nap before rolling out of bed for a phenomenal game, and then tailgated into the night.  It was 48-hour period full of friends, community, school spirit and embracing my youth.  And of course, Rand brunch followed on Sunday morning.  Vanderbilt is a people school, and that’s a huge part of why I love it so much.  Nothing in life is worth anything without the people we love, and I feel like the Vanderbilt lifestyle embraces that ideal.

Thanks so much Sarah and I can’t wait to hear you on the radio! And for everyone looking for a new favorite song (“Call Me Maybe” can’t last forever) go check her out on itunes as Lockwood Barr!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!