Meet One of the Newest Melodores, Hollis Cuffie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Being a Melodore at Vanderbilt is equivalent to being a member of the Treblemakers from Pitch Perfect. It’s a prestigous group of close-knit guys who bond over a love for singing. Basically, if you tell someone you’re a Melodore, they’re usually impressed. I had the chance to interview one of the newest members of the Melodores, Hollis Cuffie. Hollis is a first-year student from Georgia who also serves as the president of his Commons house, participates in Blood:Water, and plans on rushing a fraternity. I asked Hollis about his experience with the Melodores thus far.

1) When did you first start singing?

I first started singing in elementary school. We had a choir only 4th and 5th graders could be in called the Singing Hawks, and I definitely got in and nailed two solos my first year. Just sayin’. I stayed away from singing other than in my church choir for the next few years, and never did any during high school!

2) Why did you decide to join the Melodores?

I wanted to join the Melodores because I’d heard how awesome of a performing group they were, and I really wanted to contribute something to that. I looked them up on Youtube and all the talk was true! That’s when I knew I had to at least try.

3) What was the audition process like?

Auditions started out with you singing about a minute of a song of your choice, followed by some sight reading exercises and a little q&a to figure out who you are as a person and why you’re applying. If you make callbacks, you get to come back in prepared with more songs and a willingness to test your harmonizing ability. After that, all you can do is sit back and wait for the word on whether you got in or not! Competing against 50+ other guys for a spot is really intense, but I never really felt a lot of pressure. It’s a very warm, fun environment.

4) Your first performance was last weekend- how did that go?

The performance last week was a ridiculous amount of fun. It was a little weird being without an actual stage, but there’s nothing like the rush of entertaining so many people at once! The energy from the crowd was good, and we meshed well for it being our first play.

5) When is your next performance?
Lights on the Lawn tomorrow on Alumni Lawn during the afternoon, and then Athenian Sing! 
Editor’s Note: These performances were yesterday- how awesome were the Melodores??? 

HOD major from Buffalo, NY
Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.