Meet Marissa Uchimura, Blair Kid and Piano Prodigy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

1) How long have you been playing piano?

For 13 years, or since I was 5.

2) What was the first “real” song you learned? Favorite?

That’s tough. I guess once you hit a certain level all the pieces are “real,” but I think the first one that came for me at that level was Beethoven Sonata Opus 2 Number 1 in f minor. A lot of young pianists “start” on that sonata before they get into longer and more difficult pieces. My favorite piece would have to be Chopin Ballade Number 3 in A flat Major, which I played during my junior year.

3) What’s it like to be a Blair kid? How is it different than being in Arts and Sciences? Do you still take classes in A&S?

Being a Blair kid is really time-consuming. I spend all day there, except when I go to take one or two classes on main campus or Peabody because I am a double major with Public Policy. During your freshman and sophomore years at Blair, it is basically impossible to take less than 16 credit hours each semester. On top of that you are expected to put in a few hours of practice a day (if not more than a few). But in the end, we don’t have as much out-of-class homework as non-Blair students, ideally leaving us more time to practice.

4) What’s your favorite thing about Blair? Least favorite, if any?

Blair is a really close-knit community. Everybody knows and respects one another, and we all have opportunities to listen to our peers perform and learn and grow from them. My least favorite part is the fact that Blair is far away from the main campus and Commons, so on rainy days or really cold days the walk is brutal.

5) What other stuff are you involved in around campus?

During the fall semester I did Vanderbilt Music Outreach (which is not through Blair) with students of all majors and interests. We got to teach music class to children at Bordeaux Elementary School once a week, and I always looked forward to it. This semester I am involved with Vanderbilt International Justice Mission (head of newsletter team) and teach piano lessons to children in the Edgehill neighborhood at the W.O. Smith Community Music School.

6) How did it feel to have your own Blair piano recital as a freshman?

It was pretty nerve-wracking, and I had to explain to people why I was giving a non-required recital (at Blair, solo recitals are only required during your junior and senior years). I love performing, and working towards this goal gives you great incentive to practice and improve. But I loved being able to share my music with my friends and teachers in and outside of Blair, because they were all so supportive and excited for me.

7) For the people who didn’t get to see your recital, what were some of the pieces you played? Which was your favorite?

I played French Suite Number 5 in G Major by JS Bach, Andante with Variations in f minor by Haydn, Rondena by Albeniz, and Tarantella by Liszt. My favorite (at the time of my recital) was Rondena, because it is this intense, romantic Spanish dance and is so much fun to play.

8) Where do you see your life in five years?

Music is very significant for me, but I’m not sure if it is going to turn into my lifelong career. That is very hard to do, and as a musician you have to be very versatile because jobs can be few and far between. I also consider pursuing my public policy major in grad school instead of continuing with music. Who knows? I might come to the end of my four years at Vanderbilt and realize exactly what I need to be doing. But for now, I am enjoying being able to major in something I absolutely love.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.