Meet Ellen Reat, Geology Major and Gamma Chi!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Ellen Reat is a Tennessee native and a Vanderbilt Senior, majoring in Geology. I got the chance to meet her during Alternative Spring Break two years ago- sleeping in a tent in the middle of the Arizona desert is actually the perfect place to get to know someone! Ellen is full of hilarious stories that are sure to make you laugh. I might have even been there in the moment she was inspired to become a Geology major, when she started stuffing her pockets full of rocks on our hike UP the mountain…that’s dedication! Here is a little bit more about her: 

Q: What made you decide to become a Geology major?

A: I originally wanted to major in French, but I took Dynamic Earth and realized I love Earth Sciences. Plus we’re one of the only majors that takes field trips all the time, and geology is applicable to everything – we all live on the Earth!

Q: What’s been your favorite Geology memory so far?

A: I got to spend six weeks of my summer in southwest Montana camping, hiking, and mapping geologic formations. My favorite memory is from that trip: sliding down glaciers and hiking to alpine lakes in Glacier National Park.

Q: Do you recommend anything for prospective Geology majors?

A: Get into research early, do as much field work as you possibly can, and explore the geology of everywhere you go. The best geologist is the one who has seen the most rocks!

Q: What else are you involved in on campus?

A: I’m a member of Voce A Cappella, a Panhellenic sorority, and the Gamma Chi program for Recruitment 2013. I’m also dancing in Masala Sace’s Diwali, tutoring for Vanderbilt Athletics, and doing paleontology research for my Honors thesis.

Q: If you had another year at Vanderbilt, what would you do?

A: I would try to take more fun classes, investigate more research opportunities, and take more advantage of the arts culture that Vanderbilt and Nashville have to offer.

Q: What are your post-grad plans?

A: I’m hoping to work for the National Park Service or work in petroleum geology for a year, and then I want to pursue a PhD, so I can eventually become an exploration geoscientist.

Q: If you had one piece of advice for freshmen, what would it be?

A: Take advantage of everything! It goes by so incredibly fast, and you’ll never be able to be an undergraduate again. School is important, but college is also about making mistakes, figuring yourself out, and having fun.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.