Life Across the Pond (Your Study Abroad Guru)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Name: Alexi Beavers
Hometown: Houston, TX
Year: Senior

What different places have you studied abroad? How did you decide where to go?
I’ve studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence, Florence and Siena. I hadn’t really thought much about going abroad, let alone three times, when I started college so each time was a little spontaneous. Ultimately I decided to go to each place based on the program setup (I wanted to live in an apartment and not a homestay) and because I thought it would be fun to learn two new languages and experience a new culture!

What other places did you travel to? Which was your favorite?
During the three programs I traveled throughout France and Italy and also to Ireland, Scotland, England, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Hungary.

I don’t think I could pick just one! I really liked Positano in Italy, Monaco near the south of France, Dublin in Ireland, Sevilla in Spain, Zurich and Luzern in Switzerland, and Budapest in Hungary. Plus I always love London and Paris whenever I go!

Do you recommend studying abroad? What is some advice you would give to people who are thinking about it?
I definitely recommend studying abroad! Studying abroad during college is a once in a lifetime (or three!) opportunity because there is no other time in your life that you are able to enjoy travelling and living in a foreign place without all the responsibilities that come after graduation. It is cliché but you do learn so much about yourself, become more independent, gain new perspectives on so many aspects of life, and really appreciate home, especially Nashville.

My advice for anyone studying abroad is to research the program thoroughly so you know what you’re getting and will know if the program fits all the criteria you need and want while abroad. For example, as I mentioned above, I wanted apartment living, and then I also wanted a mid-sized to smaller program group and liked having Fridays off so I could travel or explore my host city during the weekends. Discussing the program with the GEO office and anyone who has already participated in the program is also very useful. Make sure the academic credits will work for your schedule and talk to your family and friends, they know you well and can be a big help. Then choose the program and place that you think fits you best and go!