Ideas for Your Wishlist This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the holiday season brings some of its hardest challenges. 

From trying to coordinate holiday plans with family, to working before the holiday season so you can buy the best gifts for loved ones, to fighting a cold before winter break, all of these little problems can become big stressors. On top of these problems, another challenge arises when I get the fated text from my mother or grandmother:

“What do you want for Christmas?”

It should be simple. Throughout the year, we can constantly think of countless things you could waste money on or buy without hesitation. I often tell friends and family how much I want something or how excited I am for something, but when asked the question around this time of year, I always freeze. Getting gifts for friends, siblings, parents, significant others, and relatives can be an even harder task. I’m always stuck searching for inspiration for what to add to my own list and struggle when asking friends for tips when they don’t know what they want either. 

But have no fear, because this holiday season, you’ll be well prepared. 

We’ll look at some of the top fashion trends on college campuses and lifestyle essentials that people are putting on their wish lists this year, and hopefully you’ll walk away, able to tell people what you’re looking for this holiday season. And if you already have your Christmas list together, these ideas could give you even more inspiration for how to spice up gift-giving this year. Here are 14 things you should put on your Christmas list this year:

UGG Tasman Slippers

9WCH9hkvnaaSDvuYzPYXgL4

Photo by https://www.ugg.com/women-slippers/tasman-slipper/5955.html?dwvar_5955_color=MSHL

The UGG Tasman slippers have been taking the Vandy campus by storm. Seeing girls walk around dorm halls and to class in these shoes has made me fall in love with Uggs again, allowing me to reminisce with my middle school self. These stylish slippers are comfortable, functional, breathable, and serve as the perfect shoe to wear to lounge around or take on the day. The shoes retail for $100 right now, but are the perfect investment for living comfortably and fulfilling a cozy college student aesthetic.

40 Oz. Stanley Tumblers

ilj cVj2PALqI gFLMADTkRuLjJ7RUc2YtiPTA08rh6vTJJuKA3LZjR9ipJsv3IeCq8t9cb7mvuZBQDOlHLL9JrdnTVD0XL7OWH75yAxpSTigOlHSrkfzzJSz3wJ 71 diY73T4rX020TpnFkZFeE5 h4yBQrD7SNx4mRdOUsPf ytk2lFjr3EuurO23IA

Photo by https://www.stanley1913.com/products/adventure-quencher-travel-tumbler-40-oz?variant=40616577597567 

The Stanley brand tumblers went through a recent revamp, with the 40 ounce insulated mugs taking on adorable new colors from neutrals to pastels. With colors like “fog”, “cream”, “rose quartz”, and “charcoal”, the tumblers are perfect for your use without super flashy patterns or styles. Retailing for $40, these 40 ounce, vacuum insulated tumblers with a straw, protective lid, and handle (to make holding more comfortable) are the perfect cup for any drink you need. The base of the tumbler is narrower than its top to allow the cup to fit in most car cup-holders (a problem you face with many water bottles 32 oz. and above). No matter if you’re looking to have an iced coffee before class, a bottle of ice water for the gym, or even a cup of hot tea to survive a cold winter day, these cups are perfect for any drink on the go and serve as an adorable (and functional) tumbler to carry with you as you need it. 

Victoria’s Secret Satin Sleep Sets

OkzmOEOzR3NMtT4Q53hfPAtoSzovjVme4IqLRdy3XurnneTZsjNJoB2Kw7bK1ncF3PIweVdGWp5thXLYeTt JiY8FlakBoRvto2F esq1Qlc

Photo by https://www.victoriassecret.com/us/vs/sleepwear-and-lingerie-catalog/5000008894?choice=34Y5&genericId=11199477&limit=100&resultPosition=7&searchBrand=vs&searchedFor=satin%20sleep%20set

Victoria’s Secret has multiple satin sleep sets that can range in price. They have a Stretch Lace and Satin Cami Set ($69.95), a Stretch Lace and Chiffon Cami Set ($99.95), a Satin Lace Back Cami Set ($69.95) and a Draped Back Satin Cami Set ($49.95). These sets are perfect to wear for a relaxing night in, to garner a well-deserved boost of confidence, or to sleep soundly in style. If you want to channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw or Jenna Rink (with a dorm-friendly twist), these sets are perfect for you. 

Heyday 35mm camera with Built in Flash

CgEKco8oop4H6V3jPfLWYmy26rpj6aifPuaZAEcB32eTdzzJjI4xf8 4h1GPt5j29vtyqBPDtMYJaW2JrgLVBhUDIQAFbyZgTvN cnCtfMC0 pxuGOtKckARqOIiQw0OCJajIAU6QmmDuWYh27Hiwn 3Z1sjMSm6kJh6v0gRPaXFF 15CiFd0EnEDBc5A

Photo by https://www.target.com/p/heyday-35mm-camera-with-built-in-flash/-/A-87696659?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&fndsrc=tmnv&DFA=71700000100919971&CPNG=DSA_DVM%2Ba064R0000139D6LQAU-HeyDay_GEM_GoogleSearch_Q4_2022-729789&adgroup=DSA_HeyDay&LID=700000001393753pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9004396&gclid=Cj0KCQiA99ybBhD9ARIsALvZavU3MBECVLcQT_7KHEzIP30K-ULTvEWDkrtW5UHBaDw4ZHcXBbVJl6saAmYLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These disposable cameras began to sell out in Target shelves this year as their trendy colors and sleek design caught the attention of TikTok. 

The revitalization of disposable camera photos gave birth to these adorable reusable film cameras. The cameras come in a soft purple and jade green color, are small (perfect for on-the-go, handheld use), and retail for only $34.99 compared to many larger (and older) film cameras that retail at a baseline of $80; however, the film for these cameras is sold separately.

Loafers

c5u1M1XpRxGrtnbUy3xot6 asuHEqTx32W2bkRdbtgcNhhnVWoBVm5BHFZlzTHzjHtKFKlM LF8kBi7OIxOKQ96Eoy95D vWanVEqy7AKfUmqmh6g1fA 942MSi DTpHqUs6ZTZCPZgxo bPYRXq AznuQA6H03L5Qy8HbZb14r25lbyf7KkYAMzMfgfw

Photo by https://www.zara.com/us/en/chain-trim-lug-sole-loafers-p13510010.html?v1=212373510&gclid=Cj0KCQ

Influencers like Emma Chamberlain have been leading the movement to make platform loafers trendy, and their efforts have been successful. Designer brands like Prada and Gucci have made platform loafers that would compliment a skirt and jacket combo perfectly, but if you’re like many people and can’t afford to pay $1,150 for a shoe, I’ve got the dupes for you. Zara has two loafer-style shoes that serve as perfect Gucci/Prada substitutes: their Lug Sole Embellished Moccasins ($69.90) and their Chain Trim Lug Sole Loafers (also $69.90). These shoes are relatively the same as their Prada and Gucci counterparts, but cost significantly less, proving that fashion doesn’t need to cost a fortune. 

Athleticwear

Photo by https://thehalara.com/products/high-rise-crossover-flare-full-length-leggings?pmui=10.1.collection.list.4.crossover-leggings-1&pmuih=crossover-leggings-1&variant=43598671839398

On the subject of fashion costing a fortune, don’t be afraid to add lululemon to your Christmas list this year. Lululemon may be really expensive athleticwear, but (and here’s my rationale for liking it) you’re paying for the quality. Many of the lululemon products are seamless, include moisture-wicking features, and are beyond comfortable. If this isn’t convincing enough, the products have a lifetime warranty that allows for exchanges or returns to be made for a product if it does not meet the company’s “quality promise” and the process is made significantly easier if you’re registered as a lululemon member. Being a lululemon member also gives you free hemming on any clothing that may not fit exactly how you want it. Outside of that, lululemon can be a splurge, and it’s completely understandable if you don’t want to spend lululemon money (or have another person spend lululemon money on you). A brand that offers many lululemon dupes and whose tennis dresses have also been taking over the Vanderbilt campus is Halara. Halara’s line of athletic dresses are comfortable, casual, and are a necessity for the inconsistent weather of schools in locations like Nashville. When the summers run into October, these dresses are perfect for walking around campus. Halara also has a line of crossover flare leggings that’s tough for Aerie to beat, with more color options and a vast range of sizes to choose from. Their Crossover Flare Yoga Leggings not only beat Aerie (and Lulu) in color selection, but beat both brands with their $29.95 price. Athleticwear, from any brand, that can double as as casualwear is a smart way to go this holiday season.

Fujifilm InstaX Mini Link Z Smartphone Printer

BHjwMghjyqVvhg4FzJd1qvFKbwOzKe8GLHpyy6fAcVj2ZHin5lCn0HzmFzlZHIzXORkVKiR72c3WK4XeTrbZuvq1rtHE3mxI2b3aGdBgt4svqqPyv1XSwCjkVle0ruUNF mef0rkbezy7H7Sv 2EaE6GcZk1QvXLCbRKMbZVrzCX2AAYZUtKE0kKLpP2 Q

Photo by https://www.target.com/p/fujifilm-instax-mini-link-2-smartphone-printer-soft-pink/-/A-86117572?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012807845&CPNG=PLA_Electronics%2BShopping_Local%7CElectronics_Ecomm_Hardlines&adgroup=SC_Electronics&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9004396&targetid=pla-897844136621&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQiA99ybBhD9ARIsALvZavUASTitToP4cH2ecoxSugQg6bN2omjWYQyXGXlaHYeOocHveYFcUboaAkamEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Polaroids have been revitalized the past couple of years with the Instax Mini Polaroid Cameras, but imagine being able to turn pictures taken from your phone into a Polaroid picture to carry with you. That’s exactly what the Mini Link Smartphone Printer does. Connect the printer to your phone through the Instax Mini Link app and turn photos from your camera roll into Polaroids. The app also lets you draw on the pictures you take. The printer is sold for $99.99 at Target, but again, film is sold separately for this product and can be bought at Target, Walmart or Amazon.

Glossier Balm Dot Com

hazSBzSswqfVh9lbNU1EhjxQH3rZMZxJPD9SKYFgERbkXtUGBENNiRWINRIUXsbqXy2rsVTEXmdfEvo3wqgduIh7Ndx

Photo by Glossier

For the holidays, Glossier rolled out two festive scents in “Swiss Miss” and “Cookie Butter”. Each scent makes you feel like you’re walking around smelling the holidays, and leaves your lips soft with the slightest tint from the lip balms. These are the perfect lifesavers when chapped lips come out from the cold winter air.

Mini Keurigs

U HSdwviWvVDTZ6fFIxCdRaTCTTq63vBu LlPY8WsL3Z1a8Xk1ivwT vULhremCFGkaTPrSJgIpzWb g a34w60KoIBHhOwhW4dIj rDQnvE Z8JjlxIodcqJ9wLCf kzZDKNlBgV6fW5wcUP7f5nTXTywugVQX 3dCNFftUDuge2IOi L54Ju5 ULCQ

Photo by https://www.target.com/p/keurig-k-mini-single-serve-k-cup-pod-coffee-maker/-/A-53788870

Mini Keurigs are a dorm essential. These coffee makers take K-cups and brew 12 ounce servings of coffee or water for single-use servings. They’re perfect to make a cup of hot chocolate, tea or coffee and fit comfortably on a desk. There aren’t any extra-long cords that take up space, and are super efficient for making a drink in your dorm. They also come in super dorm-friendly colors from a seafoam green, to a rosy pink, and many more variants. They retail for $99.99 at Target (with certain colors retailing for $89.99). 

Perfumes

Dior - J'adore Eau de parfum - 4 Open gallery

Photo by https://www.dior.com/en_us/beauty/products/F071524009-j-adore

Perfume is an annual essential. From Bath and Body Works fragrances to designer bottles, perfume is the perfect gift for any makeup, candle, or fragrance lover. Here are some of the fragrances that college women are investing in this year:

• Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium ($83)
  • Dior J’adore Eau de Parfum ($85)
  • Glossier You ($64)
  • Armani Code for Women ($53)

Tote Bags

Tote bags are the ultimate utility bag for college students on campuses everywhere. Canvas bags with simple patterns, color schemes or prints can serve as a replacement for a backpack, purse, or computer bag and (depending upon the seller) can be inexpensive. For gift-giving (or treating yourself), bags like these could be embroidered with your recipient’s name to personalize their daily accessory. These bags are an amazing opportunity to express your interests and style in a creative, yet subtle way.

Mini Projector

onBLXSo3Md88vo8Ipn9NKwD Z0MC9sVxAJ7DlIVfOK4dZ1HjcN sTBZ2bu NB9S7f0Vqj2SBrNRp0iOs3sQWYHyqxpZ44VI8cshaPQmG9SZE32oib pE 0sOMEdwuffC6VZ0x6ZNvK 9Es5 uDXJZizVnbVg9or NBYMe hN7BB69lQelCTFdKtY6ocUmQ

Projectors are the perfect alternative to a TV. When TV’s take up space and can be painstaking to set up, projectors swoop in and are convenient for a dorm setup. When you and your friends are done using your projector, you can tuck it away in a closet or drawer to use again in the future. Mini projectors are perfect for dorm movie nights with friends or perfect for binge-watching shows with your roommate. They can be easy to connect your phone to and have all of the best features of a TV. 

Hype and Vice Merch

3l8AgQns1 U AKuROeLPUz8lBc9egVaXRoPTn6ytjFiwYSFNZ5HztZFEWUqW6GPCrBrazLSN1OABAmJ0wrpaK3gkHWbfRq2jVNUOQjvuyl27scUQNg J9lC0ZYrZ9KkVp2nU6lX veapGh85ql8nw3LGako5kTWHd1fJL8vG48DmAjtjEgOmRgz38OMyLQ

Photo by Hype and Vice Merch

Hype and Vice is a brand that takes school logos and school merchandise and puts a stylish twist on them. With a long list of schools, Hype and Vice has clothing for all occasions. From bandeaus and halter tops for an SEC game day, to cropped sweatshirt and sweatpants sets for a cozy day in your dorm. And for all of the Vandy girls, much of the Hype and Vice apparel features the old, classic logo.

White Cowboy Boots

2k5DyS0ygY3JVpr6lpMzeyIJc93D1MfbYt2yBGOcZmbdp5JjHEEH TxpLIgvi6RnM2JR7PpYJjtARdMcAI OlOPpxB9edZp2SUN9Kvk6v 7dKT4tHcifjShoExwx4qIDBLqDcK oaAWYLVX krbZ9nKPrpsBYSlcHDvQ65Os3A5ne Mq CMHDpMPXcyRyA

Photo by https://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Pointy-Womens-Western-Cowgirl/dp/B0B6Z315WT/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?keywords=white+cowboy+boots&qid=1668802541&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

For the Nashville girls (and girls from any SEC schools), white cowboy boots have been a big trend on game days and to take on Broadway. These are the perfect investment for girls looking to spice up their southern looks, but want to find a color that works across the board (especially if you aren’t super into brown or black cowboy boots). Boot prices vary depending upon the retailer, but many boots sell for around $50+ on Amazon.

Sofia is a student at Vanderbilt University, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Communications. When Sofia isn't studying or trying to pick out a new tattoo, she loves listening to her array of Spotify playlists, going to the gym and trying out new restaurants.