This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

TikTok, also known as the best app in existence, has changed every current 16-25 year old’s life. One by one I have seen all my friends succumb to the pressure of downloading a TikTok in order to understand common references and memes from the app.  Last semester, around the same time I realized that my GPA was screwed, I decided to finally download the app. And after four months of using the app, it has not been…the worst thing on my phone. But that isn’t saying much.

When I first downloaded the app my feed was filled with Hype House-esque videos, but over time my For You page has come to grow into something I can somewhat tolerate. It’s interesting to look at other people’s For You pages because it clearly shows their interests and parts of their identity.

Because TikTok thrives on relatable humor, a lot of creators find success in making TikToks about personal and specific topics. Many users can relate to a TikTok about forgetting to do their homework, but less users can relate to a TikTok about having divorced parents or musical auditions. Seeing more niche TikToks is a great breath of fresh air from the regular content and helps to create smaller communities on the app.

At first I thought the app had no importance. And with my grades, it shouldn’t. But after seeing TikToks made by black users, particularly those pertaining to black women, made the app deserve to take up all my screen time. It was nice to see a TikTok about a failed twist out because it was something that I related to that was not talked about as much. When I was younger it was not easy to find black content creators that I could relate to. Thankfully, there is more representation in the media now than when I was a child. Seeing black creators making relatable content in respect to black culture on TikTok is a sign that black communities will be more accessible on the internet for future generations.

Obviously, TikTik is not a serious app. But it has quickly become an integral part of current pop culture, so any form of positive representation on the app is important. TikTok works because everyone’s feed is personalized, making it easier to connect to creators, video formats that make you laugh, or simply just to connect with others. Seeing a funny TikTok about the struggles of dating as a black girl doesn’t change my life or world view, but it reminds me that my feelings and experiences are valid and aren’t uncommon. It makes me smile to see someone comment “I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE” and know that I am no longer alone in my experiences.

Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)